Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

can someone help with new bios update

i have tried to update my bios from 5456 to 5506 but windows 7 pro won't start . did a recovery back to 5456 and windows will start. next tried to change bois to 5529 and the same thing happens, windows won't start so had to recover bios back to 5456. does anyone know what i'm doing wrong. tried it with anti virus disabled too and same results. i would like to have the latest bios but not like this. dx58so 504 i7 920. so far no luck with recovery bios or express bios

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

When you say windows will not start does it mean you have a blank screen?

Highlighted
New Contributor I

after the bios screen, with the new bios update all i get is a blinking cursor on a blank screen. this continues until i shut down and go back to bois 5456.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi!

Thank you for the clariifcation.

Now to your problem. Although I don't have the same board as yours I got the same result when updating my bios to the latest version (the new version removes the beep after POST) and then reverting back to an older version (two version back from the new one). Like you I have to go back to the previous version. I believe that the only solution for us now is to wait for another new version which should correct the problem. In other words, you have not done anything wrong. It's the new bios that might have a bug on it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

You can try restoring the BIOS defaults after loading and then reset the boot device to your OS HDD.

Sometimes BIOS updates change the default CMOS mapping and restoring defaults sets it back to the nonimal values. (It sould tell you this in the readme notes, but sometime it gets missed (or folks don't read them)

Highlighted
New Contributor I

hi, i hit f9 on keyboard when i exit bios so it should of returned to default. the one thing i noticed was it enabled fan control which i had set to disable because i have a fan controller for all fans. so i am default with the exception of fan control. now i get the bios window comes up everytime i start and it tells me the last bios didn't take. i have to click ok on it everytime i start.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

OK, Seem like things are getting stranger

But it also sounds like the F9 make a change so maybe for the better.

You will need to reset your personilizated settings like the fan control.

What was the last BIOS you loaded and what is the BIOS ID string being displaied in BIOS now?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

i'm using bios 5456 with no problems, just wanted to stay with latest bios but will have to wait for a better one for my system unless i can figure out why the latest one won't take. sox5810j.86a.5456.2010.0830.0013

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Doc_SilverCreek,

A very good observation. I agree that there are so many thread here that will support your observation. However, in this case the possibility of that observation occuring is very small since going back or reverting back to an old version restores normalcy.

0 Kudos