Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

does the Intel DP55WB mobo have a compatibility Issue with Radeon R5 220 Graphics card?

I have been trying unsuccessfully to install a Radeon R5 220 2GB graphics interface card for HD VGA support. This is a W7, i5 system with 4G of RAM memory. The existing Radeon VGA interface works fine. The R5 will not boot. Halts with a 5A boot code consistently, and this is the second card I have tried and both do the same thing. I have updated the BIOS to Intel's latest version without any difference. The Radeon R5 only uses 19 watts and I have a 500W supply. Any ideas would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Hhmmm, modern graphics card with 9-year-old board and 7-year-old BIOS...

Try enabling UEFI. Many cards no longer provide a legacy Video BIOS driver. If this doesn't work, you may be out of luck; many cards that claim backwards compatibility with PCIe 2.0, don't.

Hope this helps,

...S

idata
Community Manager

Scott, thanks for your reply. You wrote what I have been thinking regarding creeping technology being the issue. However, this morning in my searching I came across a thred on this forum from April 15th, 2013, from a guy having the identical problem trying to use a Gigabyte HD 7850 and halting during boot at a 5A code. Doesn't mean the problem is identical but it says that Intel seems to have been having a problem with this mobo and Graphics controllers for a while now. If anyone can recommend an interface that is know to work, I will give that a try. BTW, the title of the other thread from 2013 is "Problem With DP55WB and A Video Card". The Intel answer to that seems to have been of little use at the time and doesn't help me either.

AlHill
Super User

This is your 9 YEAR OLD motherboard: https://ark.intel.com/products/41162/Intel-Desktop-Board-DP55WB Intel® Desktop Board DP55WB Product Specifications

It only knew about PCIe 2.0. It did not know about PCIe 3.0

Your graphics card is based on PCIe 3.0 and claims to be backward compatible to PCIe 2.0.

You are having a problem, so it must be that the DP55WB could not predict the future of PCIe 3.0, which it knew nothing about. And, your graphics card manufacturer's claim of backward compatibility must be correct. And, your card manufacturer's understanding of legacy bios support must be correct also.

So, all of this is a problem with the 9 year old Intel board, and there are no problems with your CURRENT graphics card. Do I understand this correctly?

Now, moving forward, even if this were to work, why would you want to run a nice, new, shiny graphics card IN A DEGRADED MODE on a 9 year old board?

Think about it.

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The 5A POST Code indicates that the last thing the BIOS tried to do is reset the various busses. Hanging at this step indicates that something - likely the graphics card - is not resetting. I would suspect that this is a PCIe incompatibility rearing its ugly head.

...S

idata
Community Manager

Thanks all for your interest and advice on this issue. It would seem that there is a compatibility issue relating to this motherboard. Since my original goal was to just add HD graphics with VGA compatibility, can anyone recommend a motherboard that is PCIE 3.0 compatible, that also has an LGA 1156 processor socket so I can use the i5 processor assy. I am using now? I grow tired trying to look through all of the mobo/processor generations that might fall into that category. I plan to continue to use W7 for the present, to stay compatible with DAW applications I am using. If I am asking for something that may not exist, then please let me know that as well.Thx

Bill

AlHill
Super User

Here are four boards:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007627%20600007888%206000... Micro ATX, LGA 1156, Intel Motherboards, Motherboards, Components - Newegg.com

Good news: they are all microATX

Good news: they all support socket 1156

Good news: three of them have the p55 chipset

Bad news: None of them support PCIe 3.0

You are on your own.

Doc

All standard disclaimers apply. The above link provided for your convenience only.