cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

dq77mk could not recognize the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD when rebooting

Hi,

Has anyone run into the issue of rebooting Intel dq77mk with Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (MZ-7PD256BW) as the boot disk? The Win8 system can be booted from cold start. But when the system is rebooted without fully powered off, the Samsung840Pro256GB SSD could not be recognized as the boot disk, the system could not reboot.

The dq77mk board was updated with BIOS 0057, and Samsung SSD was updated with the latest firmware released on 12/13/2013 from

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/MZ-7PD256BW http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/MZ-7PD256BW

Appreciate if anyone can share the experience on this.

Thank you.

-cd

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Cd,

Here are our recommendations:

- Install the latest BIOS (0058) using the recovery method:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22517&lang=eng&OSVersion=&DownloadTyp... Download Center

Please be sure to read and follow all accompanying instructions, which can be found at this link:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-022312.htm Desktop Boards — BIOS update instructions

- Press F10 during boot up to check if the system recognizes the drive at some point.

- Make sure you have the latest Chipset update utility:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22152&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208%... Download Center

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Dan,

Thank you for your reply.

I tried to follow your instructions. I updated the dq77mk to the latest BIOS (0058), and installed the latest Chipset utility. Unfortunately, the Samsung 840Pro SSD is still not recognized as boot device during reboot. The screen keeps prompting "Reboot and select proper boot device".

I also tried to reboot using my other spare 500GB regular Hard Disk, this issue does not occur. It can be rebooted without any problem.

Note, the Samsung 840 Pro SSD (MZ-7PD256BW) can boot the system just fine with cold start (fully power off, and power on). It is not recognized as boot device only during the REBOOT. Please help investigate the problem and provide the updated BIOS or other solution if any.

Thank you.

-cd

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello cdwangms,

In BIOS under the configuration tab, SATA devices, you will have an option that sets a hard drive delay. Go ahead and set it to 5 and go to the boot tab and enable the expansion card text.

If these tricks don't work, then the might be a compatibility problem between the drive and the motherboard.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thanks for the suggestion.

The trick does not work. Setting the hard drive delay to 5, and enabling the expansion card text, the problem still exists. There must be compatibility issues on Intel dq77mk motherboard with Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (MZ-7PD256BW) as boot drive.

This issue should be addressed by either Intel or Samsung.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello again cdwangms,

I will report your finding to the proper department, in the meantime I suggest you to keep posted for newer BIOS releases for your motherboard and firmware updates for your Solid-State Drive.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

Which SATA controller mode have you selected for your SSD?

If you have set the mode as AHCI or RAID, which driver are you using?

Lastly is this UEFI or legacy boot?

I haven't had the opportunity to use any 840 Pro's, but I can confirm that the non-Pro 840 series works without the issue you are describing on the DQ77MK with Windows 8 under legacy boot.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

The SATA controller mode for this 840 Pro SSD was set as "AHCI". Windows 8 was installed on this SSD and it should be using the default driver coming with Windows 8. No additional drivers for this SSD was installed.

Yes, this is the UEFI boot. But I tried legacy boot, the same issue remains. I also tried to reboot the Windows 8 system on one of my spare Western Digital hard disks; with the same bios settings, there was no such kind of problem. I don't have any other brand SSD which I can try at this moment.

Alas, this is really annoying. Every time the system is rebooted without fully powered off, the 840 pro SSD boot device was lost. I really wish Intel or Samsung can fix this issue soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

I had a similar issue with a different board (boots Windows upon cold boot, hangs when completing POST upon restart from Windows), and it turned out to be a RAID driver incompatibility of sorts.

Since you're using the default inbox Windows 8 AHCI driver, that's definitely a strange issue.

All I can suggest is to give the Intel RST driver a shot, it couldn't hurt.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Just out of interest. I assume the drive appears in the bios - "Configuration" - "SATA Drives".

Does it also appear in the "Boot Drive Order" under the "Boot" screen in the bios.

If you do an F9 (Load Bios Defaults) and then F10 (Save and Exit) does the drive then boot ??
0 Kudos