Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RRoss4
Beginner

help with using larger than 2TB hard drive with Win7 on Intel RAID and 48X board

I have a computer with https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_FORMULA/ this 48X board running on Windows7 64 system installed on a partition of RAID 0 made with two hard drives. The RAID is Intel Matrix Storage Manager ROM v7.5.0.1017 ICH9R.

One of my additional data hard drives used since 2016 is 4TB. I manage to make available its full capacity and thus partition it as two volumes and format them by running the computer in IDE not RAID configuration for SATA in the bios. Running the computer with RAID configuration for SATA does not show the full size of the 4TB drive but only 2TB when the drive is not partitioned. Once the drive was partitioned and formatted running the computer in IDE configuration for SATA it also showed its full capacity (both partitions) when computer is also running in RAID mode. So, I used it like that for about 2 years with occupying about 1/3 of the first partition and almost nothing on the second partition used just as a temporary cache space for programs like Adobe Photoshop and Bridge.

The problem came the other day when I filled most of the second partition space with backup files. The next day without a warning the whole drive with both partitions was missing in the My Computer folder and the Disk Management showed it as 2TB hard drive that was not formatted and not partitioned.

Using the above method I made the hard drive available again in the same condition but lost the files.

This time I decided to run Check Disk on both empty partitioned volumes. While the first one ran without a problem and completed in seconds, checking the second partition with the option "Automatically fix file system errors" got stuck forever at the end of the progress bar and the only way I managed to kill its process was by restarting the computer. Unfortunately this caused Check Disk to run on startup every time and I had to disable CHKDSK from regedit. If I run Check Disk without "Automatically fix file system errors" it completes in seconds and reports no problems.

Based on all this, I'm afraid that while Windows 7 and my motherboard recognize the full size of the hard drive, my RAID setup with Intel Matrix Storage Manager is not able to recognize the additional space (partition) on the hard drive making it a potential problem for losing again all files on this hard drive.

In the hopes that an updated version of Intel Matrix Storage Manager ROM v7.5.0.1017 ICH9R can make using this hard drive safer I searched the Intel Support page for "ICH9R" but got no results. In fact I got no result even searching for 48X board. Does Intel still support these products?

I will greatly appreciate any input

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RRoss4
Beginner

OK, again I lost one of my partitions (this time the first one) of my 4TB hard drive and this is what I believe is happening:

My motherboard BIOS, and Windows 7 can see and use without a problem at least as non bootable hard drive the full capacity of my 4TB hard drive, but my Intel RAID controller is not capable of this and limits the space on hard drives to 2TB. So, when I attach the 4TB hard drive partitioned and formatted as 2 volumes with 2TB each and run the computer configured as RAID, the RAID controller can see and use them like that but only until I fill these volumes with files that exceed the total of 2TB on both and restart the computer. Then without a warning the RAID controller loses the larger volume and it appears in the Disk Manager as raw unformulated space.

So, the workaround to partition and format larger than 2TB hard drives running the computer not configured as RAID and then use them running the computer in RAID configuration is useless because I can't put more than the total of 2TB files on the partitions.

I was hoping to fix this problem by finding newer drivers for my Intel Matrix Storage Manager ROM v7.5.0.1017 ICH9R. But I can't find anything related to this product on the Intel Support. The only clue on the Intel site is this explanation in FAQ:

"Why doesn't the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant find my hardware?

Since in the past I was able to update my Intel RAID controller drivers I guess the product is no longer supported. If that's the case this is really bad product support from Intel, They should still provide all drivers for products that are no longer supported.

I would like to ask anyone here if there are other place on the Internet that keep drivers of Intel products that are no longer supported by Intel?

Is there other RAID solution than using the Intel RAID control on my motherboard?

I will greatly appreciate your help

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Seriously? You want to try and play the "bad support" card for a board that is over 10 years old? Not one company in the entire industry supports their products for that long!

Your board was released in Q1 2008. Windows 7 was not released until Q3 2009. 4TB HDDs were not announced until Q3 2011, let alone made available in volume quantities at reasonable prices.

Intel Driver and Support Assistant was designed to work with modern systems. It was not designed for nor does it support ancient systems (and yes, I think that that is a fair and appropriate description for a 10-year old system).

Ok, off my soapbox now...

If you want the existing drivers for your hardware, they are definitely still available -- but you will have to manually find, download and install them. I will save you some time...

Here is a link to a page from which you can download Intel RST driver packages that support your X48 system: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/15251/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-RAID-for-Legacy-Intel... Download Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RAID) for Legacy Intel Desktop Boards.

...S

RRoss4
Beginner

Thank you for your reply N. Scott Pearson, I really appreciate it.

I apologize if my message about the Intel support was offending. I think you misunderstood me. I don't expect companies to write drivers for such old products. By 'support' I didn't mean "keep writing new drivers" but help users find information and what was created for their products.

I just wanted to find the last driver for my product to make sure I'm not using an older one. And because I couldn't find it and ended up at the Q&A in the Help section, it appeared to me as if they have removed the drivers from their site after they stopped maintaining the product. Thanks to your post I'm happy to learn that this is not the case.

Now, in respect to finding the driver, I'm still kind of lost what exactly I need to check or download to find if there was a newer driver than the one I'm using. I really appreciate your help and will be very grateful if you can help me further with this. This is a screenshot of my driver version

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

What upsets me is the fact that, when you could not find the download, you didn't ask for help; you immediately attacked Intel for dropping the ball. No proof, no rhyme or reason; it's big bad Intel so lay it on them. Unfortunately, this is a trend in the way the world works. I blame this on the trolls, who in their anonymity have created a desensitized populous. Best example? Curse you Linus Torvalds! (only one of the trolls whose name I know).

The link I provided was for the last version of Intel MSM that I could find that was (also) validated with Intel's X48 Desktop Board products. I dug a little deeper and found two packages you could try. The first (here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/17882/Intel-Matrix-Storage-Manager?product=55005 Download Intel Matrix Storage Manager) is a slightly newer (v8.9.0.1023) version of what you have. I would try it first. The second (here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22194/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interf... Download Intel Rapid Storage Technology User Interface and Driver) is (I think) the last version of Intel RST that still supported for the X48 chipset. To try this Intel RST version, you will need to completely uninstall the Intel MSM software and reboot first.

Now, whether either if these versions will work with your BIOS' version of the RST/MSM firmware and whether they will provide a fix for the issue being seen are the big questions. I will presume that you are also running on the very last version of the BIOS that the board manufacturer released. I do not know if this included the last version of the RST/MSM firmware that was made available or whether this software will overcome the firmware bug. All yu can do it try...

Hope this helps,

...S

RRoss4
Beginner

Thank you Scott, that was very helpful.

I will try you suggestions after I backup my current system and will post the result. Hopefully it works, if not it's not the end of the world, I'll use the computer without the RAID and if needed I'll get a new computer .

Again apologies, for sounding harsh about Intel service. Please don't get upset about that, I honestly don't think their service is bad. I was impatient that I couldn't find easily what I was looking for. I should've asked politely for help with this instead of assuming Intel's fault,

Don't worry, my next computer will be Intel based too

Thanks again, you were really very helpful.