Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

hi,my desktop is dg41cn,1gb ram,e2180,tried to raise ghz,the system restarted..then i went to see bios-there i changed the ram speed (actually underclocked in bios to lesser speed)-it was altered already the numbers 5334 something like tat,now the system

hi,my desktop is dg41cn,1gb ram,e2180,tried to raise ghz,the system restarted..then i went to see bios-there i changed the ram speed (actually underclocked in bios to lesser speed)-it was altered already the numbers 5334 something like tat,now the system without entering the bios -continuous restarts without no post..i already tried the jumper/cmos removal/with other systems ram etc,nothing is workin to reach the post.,,no idea wat to do now..i suspect the cpu is gone...or its motherboard---first switched on the system with cpu alone-three beeps came,now put the ram n tried -the restrts cycle started ...pls help

0 Kudos
35 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Move the (yellow) BIOS Configuration jumper from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3 and then power on. This should cause the system to boot directly into BIOS Setup (Maintenance Mode), using a default configuration instead of the one you messed up. Once in BIOS Setup, use F9 to restore the default configuration and then F10 to exit from BIOS Setup with a configuration save. If this seems to then be working, you can go back into BIOS Setup and try making any necessary changes.

I would add that this is a value board and it is not designed for overclocking...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

thanks for replyin,after moving to 2-3 the pc doesnt even start,nothing occurs,also i tried removing the jumper totally and turning on still no response ,pls any other hope,i have seen many posts regarding this DG motherboards of intel,not good at reversing the brick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello sparktip

In regard to your issue, could you please try to set your BIOS to default.

Also, please try to do a BIOS update if the issue persists. You can look for the download at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Please bear in mind that Intel does not support overclocking, due that this might affect the performance of your processor among others, and this will void the warranty of it.

Please let me know how it goes in order to further assist you if required.

Best regards,

Angie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

hi,thanks for replyin,i already went to downoad center n downloaded bios -.bio file n tried to reset the bios with usb but the usb light dint flash,so i tried with dvd rom too,but after removing the pc started sometime and not,i tried by removing the ram,three beeps came n continue to come -during without ram also i tried to flash the bios with dvd rom which spinned,but nothing came on the monitor,one time a different music like beep sound came-a high pitch low pitch music beep,i thought its for high temperature for the cpu,i tried so many times,please tell me if motherboard is at fault -a bios replace is possible or not,and i also think cpu or ram slot has gone bad

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Megan,

You should try two things:

1. Try clearing CMOS. Completely remove A/C power (i.e. unplug from wall), remove the CR2032 battery from the socket on the board, wait 15 minutes and then reinsert the battery. If the board will work properly after doing this, the first thing you need to do is use F2 to enter BIOS Setup and then set the date and time.
  2. Try updating the board to the latest available BIOS using the Recovery Method. This process is documented here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005630.html?wapkw=bios+recovery Recovery BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® Desktop Boards. My additional input on this process is as follows: (1) use a USB 2.0 flash disk (do not use USB 3.0 flash disk), (2) reformat this flash disk on a Windows machine using the FAT32 file system (do not format using Linux and do not use any other file system), (3) The .BIO file should be the only file put on this flash disk and (4) plug this flash disk into one of the (black) USB 2.0 port on the back panel of the board (do not use a front panel USB port).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

i tried clearing the cmos,same on/off cycle,i tried usb method for refalshin bios but the usb sandisk cruzer light is not lit,i removed the jumper totally and tried this usb method,but the system doesnt start/if started nothing on the monitor and no activity of usb,what do you think,i have fried a cpu or motherboard

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Well, you've had something fail. I would be more inclined to say the board than the processor, but it really doesn't matter; considering the age of this system, you will probably need to replace both (even a modern Atom processor will easily kick the pants of this ancient Pentium processor).

If you are looking for a recommendation for a replacement system, I suggest you look into an Intel NUC and specifically the http://www.intel.com/buy/us/en/product/desktop/intel-nuc5pgyh-16ghz-n3700-nettop-blacksilver-495498 NUC5PGYH model. This system has a quad-core Pentium processor, 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD (eMMC) and Windows 10 Home pre-installed and ready to boot. It also has a drive bay that you can use to add a 2.5" SATA III SSD/SSHD/HDD for data storage. The memory is a socketed DDR3L SODIMM, so it can be upgraded with a larger SODIMM either imediately or whenever you feel you need it. I see that it is available for US$260 here: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC5PGYH-Complete-Preinstalled-BOXNUC5PGYH0AJR/dp/B0150OL7D4 Amazon.com: Intel NUC5PGYH Mini PC. An already-upgraded version is also available for US$375 here: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC5PGYH-Pentium-Custom-System/dp/B016ZMUDGW Amazon.com: Custom Intel NUC5PGYH Mini PC with 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD. This already-upgraded system replaces the 2GB SODIMM with an 8GB SODIMM and includes a 1TB SATA III HDD.

Note: you may be able to get better prices elsewhere. Check out NewEgg, for example.

BTW, if you can wait a month or two, Intel will be releasing the replacement for the NUC5PGYH, which uses a (Braswell follow-on) Apollo Lake Celeron processor.

Also, if you would like a NUC with more computing power, models with Core i3, Core i5 and even Core i7 processors are available (see http://www.intel.com/buy/us/en/catalog/components/nuc here for more information). Note that the NUC5PGYH is the only model sold with storage and RAM (and Windows 10 Home) pre-installed; the other models are all sold as kits; meaning storage and RAM and Windows license would need to be purchased and installed separately...

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

i cant buy anything costly now,so i am thinking of buying these -p5ql pro, p5ql/epu, p5qlse, p5kplamse i am plannin to buy one of these mobo but a refurbished,pls guide me which one will b good,my needs are very little i think,want to put cpu e8600,midrange gpu for browsing video movie streamin ,occasional video convertin to low vcd for dvd player format,pls reply,thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Well, I personally wouldn't go anywhere near a refurb board or a used processor. Remember, you get what you pay for. A refurb board usually means you are inheriting someone else's problems; the "certification" they provide you with isn't, IMHO, even worth the paper it is printed on.

Good luck,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

oh..can i try one thing,as i lowered the speed of ram less than its said for my motherboard,i want to try buying the ram module which will be suitable for my mobo dg41cn,is it worth a try,pls guide,thanks for your suggestion.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Could it be a RAM issue? This is definitely possible; with DIMMs this old, you can certainly see age-related issues occurring. As components age, they can generate additional (electrical) noise. If this builds up to a significant level, the memory bus(es) could lockup, unable to distinguish data from noise. But, because of the age of these components, I wouldn't be purchasing (what might be unnecessary) replacement memory. I would try to find a computer store that will test your system for you with alternate memory installed...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you, N. Scott Pearson for your comments.

sparktip: we have gone through all possible troubleshooting steps to solve the issue you are having; at this point, it would be good to follow Scott's recommendations.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

i want to know why does the motherboard does not power on when in recovery jumper settings,i tried puting a gt 730 graphics card thinking it might bring some difference,but nothing happened,i put CN0018P.BIO file in usb ,nothing happened in bios recovey mode,the motherboard does not start at all in recovery mode,seriously this cant be it,just for changing ram speed to manual,i have to buy another motherboard,this is ridiculous

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

sparktip ,

Since you are getting 3 beeps without memory, the motherboard is posting pass the processor, I suspect the RAM is the issue. I recommend trying to POST and doing a BIOS recovery with everything removed from the motherboard except the PSU, the CPU and 1 stick of RAM; if that fails, try a different stick of RAM or other RAM.

If the recommendation above doesn't work, you may need to get another motherboard and/or RAM.

Regards,

Juan Carlos

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello sparktip,

Were you able to do a BIOS recovery and try to POST with everything removed from the motherboard except the PSU, the CPU and 1 stick of RAM?

I am looking forward for your response.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

thanks for asking,i have removed everything including cmos battery and kept the motherboard free for ever now,i will remove the jumper pin,put the 8gb usb with .bio file only,connect to the monitor and start the motherboard,is this correct,can i do this?--ram+cpu+cmos battery+8gb usb(.bio file)+power supply and no jumper pin....this is wat i am gonna do,pls tell me its correct,thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello sparktip,

That is correct, it is the process to follow.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Connect monitor so you can watch progress of the Recovery operation. If you don't, wait at least 15 minutes after powering on before you power back off.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

juumper pin removed totally,(only cmos jumper pin not other pins),1 ram,1 cpu ,and its stock fan,cmos battery ,450watts psu connected and switched on- nothing starts,no fan ,no beep,nothing,only green led light is lit in motherboard--no light seen in usb(8gb with single bio file CN0012P.bio ),connnected to monitor,nothing in monitor too,gonna try with other bios files

0 Kudos