Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

how to designate which SATA hard drive to boot from

We use many differeent Intel motherboards, and these all have several SATA hard drives. For example, we have quite a few DZ68DB Intel motherboards.

How do we designate which SATA hard drive to boot from? I do not find this designation in the Boot BIOS.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BF_
New Contributor II

To set it permanently, see "Boot Drive Order" (or "Hard Drive Order" -- the exact phrasing escapes me) in the Boot section of the BIOS (F2).

For a one-shot, use F10 upon boot.

idata
Community Manager

I have 2 SATA drives in a DH77KC motherboard; one on port 0, one on port 2. When I go into the BIOS and select "Hard drive order," it doesn't let me change the order. P0 and P2 are displayed, I can move the cursor and select either, but the order doesn't change. It's stuck on P0 first. How can I specify P2 before P0?

idata
Community Manager

Hello Rob, you can change the hard drive order with the + and - signs. The one on top will be the boot hard drive.

Regards

idata
Community Manager

Thanks Victor. I wasn't able to get +/- to work. Chatted with a gentleman at Intel named "Fred," who suggested dragging the drives with the mouse. That worked. Problem solved. Thanks much to you both, and Intel's awesome support. Best in the business.