cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MCalv2
Beginner

how to halt cleanly DH87MC mb desktop from Linux Debian sid

Hi

I have acquired 3 days ago a new desktop machine, with Intel CPU and motherboard (mb), viz., i7-4770 and DH87MC, respectively. My other hardware is: 1) a Samsung SSD with 256 GB, 2) a Seagate HD with 2 TB, 3) 2 x 8 GB Kingston RAM. My only operating system is a Debian Linux sid (unstable) distribution, which I installed right after the purchase, without enabling the UEFI boot, only the Legacy one.

I am facing the following problem: every time I try to shutdown the machine, either via the KDE main menu icon Shutdown, or via the root command "shutdown -h now", the machine turns off, but then, right after some 2 seconds, reboots, like a zombie! The only way I manage to turn it off definitively is by pulling off the Power button of the case during some seconds...

Is this a bug of the Visual Bios program of the board? Is this known? Some long time ago, I remember having similar problems with another board (don't remember the brand or the final solution). Is there a chance this might be solved by a BIOS upgrade? How should I do it, without Windows, just plain Linux?

Thanks for any directions!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Mocalvao,

Based on the fact that Linux* is not a supported Operating System for this motherboard, our recommendation is forwarding your inquiry to your Linux* distribution support community for further assistance on your original inquiry.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-008326.htm Desktop Boards — Supported operating systems

regards,

idata
Community Manager

Hello Mocalvao,

did you manage to do a clean shutdown?

I have the board DH87RL and running Openelec. This combination has the same problem.

CU

Peter

JNich6
Beginner

This problem happens with DH87MC, Windows 8.1 64bit, I5-4430, Kingston HyperX 2x8GB. if you disable the wake on lan it stops, but i need this function to work properly. this has also been reported on some of the NUC units.

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

BozoInCommand, it looks like this issue was solved by the installation of BIOS version 0152. Are you running this BIOS? If you do, could you try installing version 0153 and then 0154.

JNich6
Beginner

Sorry I forgot to tell you I have installed 0154. I also may be linked to having a video card installed. I have an ASUS en210 1GB card installed

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

BozoInCommand, do you remember having installed BIOS version 0152?

Would you please check on BIOS which is the boot order?

JNich6
Beginner

I honestly couldn't tell you. the first thing I do when a mother board come in is install the latest bios (since "that is the first step in the troubleshooting process." stated on the intel telephone tech support). out of the 70 of so boards I've put together these are the conditions I was able to use to duplicate the issue.

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

What I could recommend you is to try if installing BIOS version 0152 fixes this behavior?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23454&ProdId=3603&lang=eng&OSVersion...

DKiki
Beginner

I triple-boot Debian Sid, Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8 Pro using UEFI, and have the exact same issue not only in Debian but also in Windows 7 and in Windows 8.

I am running the latest BIOS (v. 0047).

I was playing around in the BIOS settings one day and changed Processor Power Efficiency Policy from Performance to Balanced. The issue went away but then, after some time, it returned.

My components:

Board: Intel DH87MC

CPU: Intel i4770

PCIe: Sapphire Radeon HD7750 Ultimate

PCI: Chaintech AV-710 sound card

Storage: 1 Intel 520 SSD and 2 Western Digital SATA hard disk drives

Memory: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W

I am waiting for a BIOS update that would hopefully fix this. In the mean time, I want to try the system without the two expansion cards (video card and sound car) and also try a newer, Haswell-compatible, PSU, to see if the issue is caused by a conflict with any of them.

Cheers!