Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HHans2
Beginner

if a intel-mainboard already has usb 3.0, can i be sure, to be able, to boot from this usb 3.0 ?

Jump to solution

hello community

i have 4 diffrent computers in my eys

perhaps i buy one of them

3 of them are having intel-mainboard

the sellers are not able, to tell me the name of the board

but the mainboard must boot from usb3.0

here an example for mainboardspecifications, i only have:

Mainboard: INTEL (1 x PCIe x1, 2 x SATA 3Gb/s, 2 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse, 1xD-Sub, 1xHDMI, 1 x GBIT-LAN, 1xUSB 3.0, 3x USB 2.0, 3xAudio jack)

somebody canhelp me?

(perhaps only a owner of a similar board, who put a stick in 3.0 an tell me, if there is a boo-toption

best wishes

HansW2

(sorry for my bad english - i am geman)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

We have to look at this two ways:

1. There are boards (or motherboards or mainboards or whatever else you would like to call them) that are actual branded products of Intel. This is the support forum for the desktop versions of these Intel branded board products. If you were referring to one of these boards, then my answer would be yes, the BIOS supports booting from *any* of the USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports that are either included on these boards or supported by components on these boards.
  2. There are also boards that are the branded products of other companies - Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Foxconn, etc. - that just happen to utilize Intel's chipsets, processors and (perhaps) other components. These boards are often (IMHO) erroneously referred to as Intel boards, but they are truly not; they are boards that just happen to utilize Intel Processors. For these boards, whether they support booting from their USB 3.0 ports is a question for those companies to answer, not us. You should go to their web site to get this question answered.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

7 Replies
n_scott_pearson

We have to look at this two ways:

1. There are boards (or motherboards or mainboards or whatever else you would like to call them) that are actual branded products of Intel. This is the support forum for the desktop versions of these Intel branded board products. If you were referring to one of these boards, then my answer would be yes, the BIOS supports booting from *any* of the USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports that are either included on these boards or supported by components on these boards.
  2. There are also boards that are the branded products of other companies - Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Foxconn, etc. - that just happen to utilize Intel's chipsets, processors and (perhaps) other components. These boards are often (IMHO) erroneously referred to as Intel boards, but they are truly not; they are boards that just happen to utilize Intel Processors. For these boards, whether they support booting from their USB 3.0 ports is a question for those companies to answer, not us. You should go to their web site to get this question answered.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

HHans2
Beginner

hi scott

thanks a lot for your quick answer

that's exactly this, what i want to know

of cause, if the seller lies, (only cpu and chips are intel - board NOT intel)

nobody can answer my question and i can't do anything

(o.k. send back and zero points for ebayscore of seller)

sinceraty

hans

ps. i try to leave a message here, when i have testet my new computer with my usb 3.0 stick

n_scott_pearson

As I said, when trying to device on a particular board, go to the manufacturer's site and ask the question there. Better to get an answer before you are committed to the process of purchasing it (because the return process is such a hassle)...

...S

HHans2
Beginner

hi scott

thanks for your advice, but I really did not want to hear ...

You were right and I have the worse

the board is Biostar and NOT Intel

Although you can boot from 3.0, but with exactly the same speed as boot from 2.0

...and the board looks like a real cheap-edition

see foto: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjac933eqgj69uh/Biostar.mainboard..jpg Dropbox - Biostar.mainboard..jpg

so be it - only € 99,- and have scored 20% decline, because of wrong description of article

so only € 79,- (about $ 87)

i use it otherwise, because apart from that the PC is good.

greeting

Hans
ppara5
Valued Contributor I

USB 3.0 booting is not possible on DH67CL. I have a USB 3.0 flash drive on which I built a Linux (Debian LXDE, if it matters) system using the USB 2.0 ports. I just placed that drive in a rear USB 3.0 port, booted, pressed F10, and did not see any option other than the DVD/CD drive. This board is flashed to the latest BIOS, 0160. Perhaps it has something to do with DH67 boards being the first generation to have USB 3.0.

HHans2
Beginner

hi paramount

but you find bootoption USB 2.0 ??

on my 6 year old pc with asusmainboard i set USBdevice on place 1 ( bios/boot/harddrive) if usb-stick is in the PC

after doing, i can boot from usb(2.0) with a proper boot-stick (linux-ubuntu)

greeting

hans

ppara5
Valued Contributor I

Yes, I find a USB 2.0 boot option if a flash drive (either 2.0 or 3.0) is attached. I use this system to run Linux, on either SSD or flash drive, so I am very familar with the boot options menu.

And to compare, I have an HP laptop and another Intel system with a DZ68BC board from which I can boot either 2.0 or 3.0. I think the DH67 is the only exception of Intel's boards.