Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
11460 Discussions

intel DG45ID processor upgrade to q9550 issue

kiranchevuri
New Contributor I

I am upgrading my dual core to quad core processor Q9550 on my intel DG45ID, but once i place Q9550 on DG45ID, CPU fan starts and system shut down. I am currently using 200W SMPS and upgraded to 450W SMPS and tried same. Still CPU fan starts and system shut down. I am not even able to got to BIOS menu. Any help will be highly appreciable . BIOS version IDG4510H.86A.0135.2011.0225.1100

Labels (1)
  • DD

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kiranchevuri
New Contributor I

Good news: I could able to solve the issue my self .

After i tightly fitted CPU fan to processor, earlier it is not and connecting all peripherals and RAMs, I could make system boot to windows10.

applying thermal paste will be very good.

Abstract: Looks like Dual core is  65W doesn't bother about proper CPU fan/heat sink fitting.

But Quad core use 95W or more , So it is mandatory to tight CPU fan/heat sink for proper heat dispenser.

thanks for all for great help

View solution in original post

18 Replies
AlHill
Super User

If the noard worked with your previous processor, and does not work with the Q9550, then Q9550 = bad processor.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

kiranchevuri
New Contributor I

My DG45ID board works with previous processor. Also q9550 is working on other boards with previous owner. As per intel DG45ID support q9550.

AlHill
Super User

Ok, then help me here.

Yes, your board supports the Q9550, with a minimum bios of 0077.  You have 0135.  Since your board was working with the previous processor, it is unlikely that the bios is corrupt.  Still possible, but not likely.

You have tried two different power supplies.   Unlikely that both are bad.

All you have is the previous owner's word that the Q9550 was working.

So, the two most likely problems at this point is that the previous owner was lying, or you damaged the processor or socket by installing it.

This board is 13 years old.  You may have caused damage to the board when installing the processor and heat sink.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/34684/intel-desktop-board-dg45id.html

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/desktop-boards/DG45ID.pdf

If you install your previous processor, and it boots, then you have eliminated the board and/or socket being damaged.

If all the above is correct, then the processor is likely bad.

kiranchevuri
New Contributor I

If i use my old dual core, system boots up. Then only possibility is q9550 is dead, i need to use some other board to check its status. Also i found on google that specially Q9550 and Q9650 has some issue DG45ID.  Any idea?

AlHill
Super User

Since google told you this, for them to not provide specifics is pretty lame.

Here are the release notes for the bios (of which 0135 is the latest):

https://web.archive.org/web/20191120150510/https://downloadmirror.intel.com/19845/eng/ID_0135_Releas...

AlHill
Super User

One more thing - the q9550 is a 95w processor.  Your previous processor was probably a 65w processor.   Since the board is supposed to support the Q9550, it may be that the board is now unable to handle the additional power required.

kiranchevuri
New Contributor I

could you elaborate?, if it support 95W, it suppose to support 95 W whether is is new processor 95W or upgrade from old 65W? Do i need to reset any BIOS jumper?

AlHill
Super User

It should just work.  There is no jumper.  Let's not forget that the processor could be bad.

kiranchevuri
New Contributor I
The q9550 processor working on below configuration
G41M S2P
4 GB Ram
500 GB HDD
128 GB SSD
450W Cooler Master

Definitely something has to be done to dg45id
AlHill
Super User

Is this what the seller told you, or have you actually tested the processor on this config?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Can your power supply handle the increase in power consumption? That is the question...

...S

kiranchevuri
New Contributor I

yes, i had replaced my current 200W to 450W SMPS

n_scott_pearson

Have you verified that you actually have one of the DG45ID board (fab) versions that supports the Q9550? There are some that did not support this processor. Look at the board and find the sticker that has the board's serial number and its version (AA) number. The Supported Processor document (available here: Supported Processors for Intel Desktop Board DG45ID) also details the board version (AA) numbers that support this processor.

...S 

kiranchevuri
New Contributor I

DG45ID serial no:  AA E27729-310

Q9550 Spec mentioned on processor: SLB8V

there is an entry in https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/desktop-boards/DG45ID.pdf

under q9550 processor

SLB8V     77    E27729-310

n_scott_pearson

Did you check the AA number?

...S

kiranchevuri
New Contributor I

yes, mother board serial is :  AZID9380035A  AA E27729-310

that means AA number is E27729-310

and there is an entry in the document under q9550 processor

SLB8V     77    E27729-310

kiranchevuri
New Contributor I

One good news:

If i remove 8GB RAM and keep only 4GB, and remove speaker, wifi card, Webcam then

I could able to go to BIOS menu, but after 10 seconds, system auto poweroff

Looks strange, this means my Q9550 is fine right

is it SMPS issue? it is brand new 450W. Works perfectly with dual core.

is it processor heat issue? should i apply thermal paste?

Any help will be highly appreciable

kiranchevuri
New Contributor I

Good news: I could able to solve the issue my self .

After i tightly fitted CPU fan to processor, earlier it is not and connecting all peripherals and RAMs, I could make system boot to windows10.

applying thermal paste will be very good.

Abstract: Looks like Dual core is  65W doesn't bother about proper CPU fan/heat sink fitting.

But Quad core use 95W or more , So it is mandatory to tight CPU fan/heat sink for proper heat dispenser.

thanks for all for great help