Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fedora88
Beginner

intel dg45fc + CPU Q9550 NOT Compatibility

Jump to solution

Hi All

I' m new in this community and hopefully I can get some help from here.

I have an old Intel DG45FC Mini ITX Motherboard with 4GB RAM with a  Pentium 2core @2.70GHz E5400 CPU running Windows 10 Pro (I use it as a local file and multimedia server)

I tried to upgrade the CPU to speed it up a bit more so I looked what CPu was compatible with this board and I found this CPU for a good price
( Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Socket LGA775 CPU Processor - 2.83Ghz)
Anywhere I searched, this CPU seem to be fully compatible with my board but when I turn the PC on , it clearly say that's not compatible with it.
I am bit confused at this point on what's wrong with it.

I also try to find if a bios update could be made or required to run with the new CPU I bought, but intel stop to support it on 2019 removing all Bios releases from their public database.

However here all details might could help you guys to help me
Thank you in advance

MotherBoard: Intel DG45FC Mini ITX
*Current CPU: Pentium Dual-Core E5400 @ 2.70GHz
*Current BIOS version: IDG4510H-86A."0135".2011.0225.1100
SMBIOS: 2.4
BIOS MODE: UEFI

CPU I wish to use with this board ( Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee
AFAIK, this board supports only 65W processors. The Q9550 is a 95W processor. It is thus not supported.
...S

View solution in original post

6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
AFAIK, this board supports only 65W processors. The Q9550 is a 95W processor. It is thus not supported.
...S

View solution in original post

Fedora88
Beginner

Hi, thank you for your reply.
I suspected was that but as  inexperienced user I thought it was still possible cause many web site still advice that CPU is supported however they didn't mentioned any thing about Wattage and might cause it to obvious my bad.

Can I might ask you an advice on what the best CPU can I start to looking for, which that fit on that board ?
something that give a bit more performance ( I know is an old and too small board but before change into a newer board I want to stress it as much as it possible) I only use it as a server + desktop GUI

Thank you

n_scott_pearson

The list of supported processors for the DG45FC Desktop Board is available here: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/desktop-boards/DG45FC.pdf.

If you can find one, your best bet is the Q9550S. This is the 65W version of the Core 2 Quad processor. I see some of these available on eBay.

Hope this helps,

...S

AlHill
Super User

@Fedora88 

You may want to look at the supported processor list, which includes the Q9550S:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/desktop-boards/DG45FC.pdf

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

AlHill
Super User

whoops... just saw Scott's response.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

Fedora88
Beginner

Oh thank you both guys @n_scott_pearson @AlHill ,
Its funny as at the begin I was looking exactly the Q9550s but on ebay show only Q9550 and so I thought " it would be nearly same stuff might just reviewed version of the S" ... now looking at the details its might the only 4 cores with 65W available for this board.

Thanks again very helpfully and quick response

Tags (1)