Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

is DZ68AF supports CPU overclocking?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have system with Intel i7 2600k CPU, my existing motherboard have some issues so i am replacing that one with Intel DZ68AF.

I want to know is this motherboard supports CPU Overclocking? since it is based on z68 chipset and my vendor is also claiming that it supports CPU Overclocking.

I am not able to find any P67 Series mobo in the market right now, but this DZ68AF is in stock. I know these are outdated and intel stopped their support for these.

But can't afford building new system for this moment and lots of peoples are saying that 2600k is pretty good CPU so i am going to stick with it for next couple of years.

So, can anybody please confirm that is this DZ68AF supports CPU Overclocking or not?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yes, the board supports overclocking - but there is a big "but" that you need to comprehend. Once you upgrade the BIOS beyond a certain point -- and it is possible that the board may come with a BIOS that is already beyond this point (and you cannot downgrade once it's upgraded past this point) -- it will provide support for 3rd generation Intel Core processors as well as 2nd. The problem is that 3rd generation processors do not support the same set of "parameters" (for lack of a better word; I have also heard folks use "methods" or "knobs") for overclocking and the (combined) BIOS supports only the common set of parameters. This means that the 2nd generation Intel Core processor cannot be overclocked to the same extent it could have been otherwise. Whether this will affect you is dependent upon what parameters you are used to using. There are some users I have talked to who understand these parameters and the issues better than I; perhaps they can comment here...

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

5 Replies
n_scott_pearson

Yes, the board supports overclocking - but there is a big "but" that you need to comprehend. Once you upgrade the BIOS beyond a certain point -- and it is possible that the board may come with a BIOS that is already beyond this point (and you cannot downgrade once it's upgraded past this point) -- it will provide support for 3rd generation Intel Core processors as well as 2nd. The problem is that 3rd generation processors do not support the same set of "parameters" (for lack of a better word; I have also heard folks use "methods" or "knobs") for overclocking and the (combined) BIOS supports only the common set of parameters. This means that the 2nd generation Intel Core processor cannot be overclocked to the same extent it could have been otherwise. Whether this will affect you is dependent upon what parameters you are used to using. There are some users I have talked to who understand these parameters and the issues better than I; perhaps they can comment here...

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

idata
Community Manager

Thanks Scott for replying,

I went through DZ68AF's Product specification document

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/desktop/dz68af/dz68af_techprod... http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/desktop/dz68af/dz68af_techprod...

on page 69 in 'BIOS Performance Features' It is mentioned

* Processor Maximum Non-Turbo Ratio (processor multiplier can only be adjusted down)

what does this means? Can you please explain?

n_scott_pearson

This is the maximum multiplier that you can set while the Turbo feature is enabled. If you would like to use a higher clock multiplier, you will need to disable the Turbo feature.

idata
Community Manager

Thanks for the information

idata
Community Manager

deep.sapkal,

Thank your joining the Desktop Boards Community.

I noticed that you marked input # 1 as correct, so I believe that he answered your question, but If there is something else I can help you with let me know.

Regards,

Amy.