Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gsere4
Novice

issues wtih 1394 on *Last* Mini-ITX board (DH77DF)

Jump to solution

Dear Intel

I am working onn a prototyype custom built with a niche use/purpose. For a long time I was excited of the prospect of using an Intel product to fulfill a role as part of the prototype. I was keen on seeing this project materialise and have meticulously, planned the build, saved up for a long time to buy all the parts. The DH77DF was ideal candidate because its one of the few Mini ITX boards that sports a 1394 functionality + reasonable performance abilities + PCIe x16+ PCIe-mini slot, the latter of which, in turn permits further expansion via means of breakout riser cards. However, the project absolutely depended on 1394 in order to succeed.

I am dissmayed to discover that the 1394 on DH77DF doesn't work . A '1394 connection' appears in Network Connetions but anything else thats plugged in, like a recording interface for instance, isn't detected.

So my question for intel now is; is the DH77DF capable of fully-fledged 1394? or is it a network-only speific 1394 device? I noted that its predessecor , the DQ67EP had a COM1 port to facilitate Intel Management Engine facilites, which are also present on the DH77DF. I know for a fact that the DQ67EP required the MEI software to be installed to enable the COm1 port. Funniliy enough I acidentally bought the DQ67EP believing COm1 and 1394 was the same thing in the first instance, only to realise upion installing Windows on the DQ67EP, that it was indeed COM1 and not 1394. (my mistake).

Anyway, the I have since exchanged DQ67EP for DH77DF, yet main problem now is that the 1394 doesnt't seem to detect my 1394a firewire based inteface.

I have read many ancedotes on www regarding problems with recording devices and compatibilty issues; how some interfaces are peculiar about which manufacturer brand of chipset is present on the host mahchine and how TI is preffered over the likes of VIA. The DH77DF has, unfortunately, a VIA chipset.

Perhaps issue may be due to an oversight on intels part to enable 1394 funtionality in bios? Can anyone re-assure me on this please?

I have tested on Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP, ensured that all drivers were installed accordingly (no exclamation marks in device manager) in both cases. Note that both these OS were 'In support' by microsoft at the time DH77DF was released, so there can't be the typical excuse that OS were 'too old'.

If I cant get this to work I will have to resort to a USB interface but this particular firewire interface have exatly the only feature of its kind so its not an option. The only other option would be to pack in the project and contemplate self admittance to psyciatric ward (no really).

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I have a bunch of PCI (and maybe PCIe) 1394 cards in my closet that have been looking for a good home. The 1394 devices I had are all long gone. I have DZ87KLT-75K and DH77DF Desktop Boards whose ports could be tested - if I had one of the devices left - but I don't.

...S

View solution in original post

25 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You may want to try the latest bios, which is 0112.

You can find the release notes here: https://web.archive.org/web/20191119131208/https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28292/BIOS-Upda...

I have attached the last bios for you, in a zip file.

You should read the release notes to see if there was anything that affected 1394.

As you know, there is no longer any support or downloads for Intel Desktop boards.

You did not state your OS and version. As you know, Windows 10 on this board is not supported (but will run).

My personal opinion is that 1394 is dead or dying, which is why it is difficult for you to find. It has been beat by USB-3 and USB-C.

You may want to reconsider using 1394. And, for small form factor boards, you should look at the Intel NUCs. A NUC that uses a USB to 1394 dongle should give you what you want.

Doc

AlHill
Super User

By the way, I have a DH77DF, and it is an excellent product. I have W10 pro on it, but I have never used 1394 on it.

Doc

gsere4
Novice

Hi Al

It is a well engineered board and the PCI-e mini is an absolute delight because it affords well needed expandability on Mini-ITX boards.

What processor you have in it?

I have the latest Bios already installed.

Do you happen to have a 1394 device lying around or know someone that does in order to test it?

It may be an unfortunate incompatibility event particular to this arrangement. FYI The interface is a M-audio PROFire 610, which has been tested to work on another machine, also with onboard 1394.

I need the Profire for its somewhat exclusive ability to sync and host 192hkz audio signals via its control panel.

As you an expect I am a bit peeved that 1394 isn't a reliable standard in the first place, why some chipsets work while others not is incomprehensible - If a mothebroard is advertised as hosting 1394 it should do so without question, else its misleading advertising by intel (perhaps moreso by the manufacturer of the chipset).

I waited so long to have this project even begin to materialise and now the 'dream' has been shot down thanks to, what I see as misleading - as advertised - specifications.

I realise 1394 is an anctient standard, 34years old now, however this interface is unilke any other.

The onboard sound, while to my surprise is capable of 192khz spdif output, its more 192khz input that I require, which, the firewire interface can do.

AlHill
Super User

I have an external DVD writer that has 1394. I will give it a try and see if it works. I will report back within the hour.

Doc

gsere4
Novice

Thanks!

AlHill
Super User

OK, you made me go down and up the steps, twice. I found my 1394 DVD drive, and then had to search various places for the 1394 cable, of which I have only one!<G>

I checked the bios on my DH77DF, which found 1394 on.

I am running Windows 10 Pro 1909.

I plugged in the dvd drive. Nothing. Then, I remembered that this particular DVD has a switch on the rear to select either USB or 1394. Flipped the switch to 1394 and voila! The dvd is recognized.

I inserted a DVD, and it worked as it should.

Screen shots attached.

This system is very nice, and fast. I have 16GB memory and an i5-3570K. I was very surprised at how well it runs, and how fast it is.

Doc

gsere4
Novice

Incredible, glad it works.

I might try to source another board, this one is pre-owned; previous owner may of bust it.

Thanks for scaling the steps.

Giro

AlHill
Super User

I needed the exercise<G>.

Doc

AlHill
Super User

By the way, the Dry Fork board is the oldest of my (16) active machines, and the one that I use second most. I have a board from 2002 which is packed away in a box, and another computer from 1968 (which does nothing).

On the DF board, I use a 240gb msata, which is another nice feature of that board.

Good luck with your project.

Doc

gsere4
Novice

Thanks again..

gsere4
Novice

Just anoter question Al before you leave

Is it possible that 1394 works under AHCI mode only on this board?

I'm currently using legacy IDE mode because obviously XP doesn't support AHCI out the box unless drivers are made implicitly avalable during XP setup.

Just a thought

gsere4
Novice

Hi al, can you provide me with the version of Intel Management Engine firmware thats installed your DH77DF?

There is a utility floating around called FWUpdLcl.exe which can flash the MEI firmware. You can search for "intel_ME_8.1.55.1506.exe" on google for it. when I attempt to do this I get an error:

"Error 8706: Firmware update not initiated due to integrity failure or invalid FW image"

On an external froum, someone alludes to an "FDO jumper" needing to be set in order to permit succesful flash of said firmware, but the DH77DF doesn't have one that I can see.

The reason I want to try the latest firmware is; in the past I have had trouble installling COM ports on a previous Intel board, and the issue was due to improper MEI drivers. The correct version enabled the COM ports properly. Because the COM ports were replaced with 1394 on the DH77DF its not too far out to assume there is perhaps a correlation.

In anycase I'd really like to try latest to see if that will enable correct 1394 functionality on this board.

I still have not had time to try AHCI on Win 7 on this board.

AlHill
Super User

MEI 8.1.20.1336, which is part of bios 0112. In the device managler, under hidden devices, the driver is 11.0.0.1157.

Doc

gsere4
Novice

Ok. What about chipset installer, I personally have INF_allOS_9.4.0.1017_PV.exe and this is what I run first upon reinstalling OS. What do you run?

Obviously I'm aiming to mirror my driver config with yours to rule out any driver qwerks.

AlHill
Super User

1027 attached

Doc

gsere4
Novice

Thanks I will try this an report back tommorow

gsere4
Novice

Ok, installed the versions as indicated as well as that chipset driver on fresh copy of XP SP3 still to no avail.

Note I have tried on Win 7 so its not specific to Win XP.

I must really try another 1394 device to see if its just a bad device implementation on m-audios part.

gsere4
Novice

Back again after long haitus.

I have tested another Firewire Device and it doesn't work either. I am tempted to buy the same device Al tried, in order to determine if whether the 1394 port is blown.

I ran OHCITool which digs out IC information about the 1394 device. It states the following

"OS: Microsoft Windows XP 32-bit Professional Service Pack 3 [5.1.2600]

Looking for OHCI 1394 Host Controllers...

1:
Vendor : (1106) VIA Technologies
Chipset: (3403) VT6315
Revision: 01
Details:
Subsysten VendorId: 8086
Subsystem DeviceId: 2034
Max # isoch Rx contexts: 4
Max # isoch Tx contexts: 8
Support: This controller has not been qualified yet.

Done."

Any ideas appreciated

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I have a bunch of PCI (and maybe PCIe) 1394 cards in my closet that have been looking for a good home. The 1394 devices I had are all long gone. I have DZ87KLT-75K and DH77DF Desktop Boards whose ports could be tested - if I had one of the devices left - but I don't.

...S

View solution in original post

gsere4
Novice

Hi scott

This may very well be an issue: https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/here-is-how-firewire-ports-fail.245219/

No idea if theres any protection against surges on data lines in DH77DF. I may buy another DH77DF funds permitting, in long term in any case. In meantime I spotted some cheap 1394 on auction site suitable for further tests. Its early 00s HDD enclosure. The previous two DUT were circa 2010.

Pity really, the devices I have are excellently made, professional gear.

Unrelated, I found this article interesting.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/06/the-rise-and-fall-of-firewire-the-standard-everyone-couldnt-...