Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gtavo
Beginner

problems with intel DX79sr running windows 10

hi I am presently running two laptops and one tablet on windows 10 with no problems, but my desktop with Intel Desktop Board DX79SR with a i7 3930K once I installed windows 10 is crashing all the time and I am not able to find any support for windows 10 on any intel websites. is anyone aving any problems with windows 10?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Write this from DX79SR-based PC with Windows 10, everything OK. Which drivers you have installed? You installed Windows in UEFI or in Legacy mode?

gtavo
Beginner

hi jffulcrum, thanks for replying, i am on legacy mode, and i have looked for driver for this board on windows 10 , but can only get drivers for windows 7 and 8, i have installed the intel driver update utility but it tells me that there is no updates for windows 10. i have installed the bios released on 4/29/14, the latest audio, intel board id, and Bluetooth.

AP16
Valued Contributor III

Try to install Windows in UEFI mode. Enable UEFI in BIOS Setup and press F10 during PC startup. Select "Internal EFI - CD/DVD" to force Windows disc to UEFI mode. If you accidently enabled Fast Boot feature, keybord will be ignored during PC startup, use Back to BIOS button on MB ports plane to get into BIOS setup and switch Fast Boot off.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

girola,

Windows 10 is *not* supported by any Intel Desktop Board product, nor will it be. All is not lost; there are alternate places you can go to get Windows 10 drivers for your board. See my responses in this discussion for more information: /thread/78703 DH87MC Windows 10 drivers?.

...Scott

gtavo
Beginner

to begin thanks Scott and jffulcrum, to actually look for answers to my question.

All my pc over the years have used Intel processor I will never use AMD, but Intel position not to support my motherboard at all is not reassuring at all. I am going back to Windows 7 for the time being, and will take the loss on the motherboard and scrap it and see if I can get a motherboard that will work with Windows 10

thanks again..

DoinStuff
Beginner

A few weeks ago I saw ALL the old drivers online for this board. Now the support page has ONE driver, the rest has vanished! So, that's what Intel thinks of the Desktop community - they don't care. The DX79SR boar is now a paperweight, China is making "X79A" chipsets and producing motherboards illegally based on Intel's (terrible) design! The Chinese motherboards support NVMe, improved design, and are basically the only board you can find for LGA2011-0. The X79 was so bad Intel forgot to provide support for their key technology - RSTe! Intel could make a fortune if they wanted to, but they are only targeting the Enterprise market, where the big money is. Like I'm going to buy a $3,000 processor...

But really, you REMOVED all the old drivers? What gives Intel?

DoinStuff

n_scott_pearson

It has now been over six years since Intel ​exited the Desktop Boards business. All of the Desktop Board products are long past their End-Of-Life and End-Of-Interactive-Support dates. I can only guess that Intel now feels that their obligations to their Desktop Board customers has been fulfilled. Consider,

• Windows 7 support is about to be terminated.
  • 64-Bit Windows 10 is the only operating system that Intel is supporting.
  • Most board features are fully supported by Windows 10 inbox drivers.
  • Support for Processor Graphics is separately available. This is limited to 3rd generation and later processors (though I fully expect them to drop support for the 3rd generation sometime soon).
  • Limited support for RST/RSTe is also being provided separately (albeit via unsupported down-rev. releases).

It is thus easy to see why Intel has concluded that there is no need for driver support on the board support pages - and, in fact, no need for board support pages at all (they've announced that even BIOS updates will be removed shortly).

I am not saying I agree with this, just that I understand it.

...S

DoinStuff
Beginner

Funny, the Intel Sandy Bridge Xeon, such as the E5-2648L shows it is over 7 yeasrs old but is still listed as "Launched" by Intel. I use two of these, they work great! However motherboard are rare to find to fit them! Some things at Intel last even longer, but desktop boards were supported 3 yearts, then we just got downloads of old software, which is now gone!

Intel had removed drivers for several older pieces of hardware, it is Intel's belief that hardware they deem obsolete just shouldnb';t be used anymore, just throw away your money you invested in all that and go out ad buy a $3,000 processor, $700 motjrboard,new Optane memory, etc. They don't care that average user is still using server equipment WAY beyond when Intel calls it obsolete.  

Come on, a Sandy Bridge Bridge LGA2011 is WAY faster (8, 10, 12 cores vs limiting us to 4 lousy cores) than most of my "Desktop" processor systems. Of course I'm usin old hardware, but try and find a nmotherboard for those processors! By the time I can afford a server processor the motherboards are long gone! Guiess the only choice now is AMD!

I have some downloads from Intel before the removed them, I have my own server. If anyone needs any of them e-mail me at donstuf@hotmail.com, I will gladly disseminate anything I can to help out fellow enthusiasts (because Intel won't). Downloading from Intel was nice, safe, etc.,, but they leave us no choice.  

It probably violates their licenses, but Intel got rid of all thatsoftware, itydoesn't exist!, so what "license"? Sounds like fair game to me, I'll take the risk! Go ahead Intel, sue me! See how much you end up with...

Intel products which I have limited download / software:

Intel 7600 NVCMe

Intel AXXRMS2LL040 / 80

Intel DQ57TM

Intel DQ77KB

Intel DQ77MK

Intel DX79SR (also SI and TO for some)

Intel Phi 3120A

Intel RES2SV240

Intel RMS25CB080 (and 40)

Intel RMS25PB080 (and 40)

Intel RS2MB044

Intel SD1200V3RPL

Intel S2600CP

Intel S3420GPL Family

Intel Sasuc8i

CD ISO's:

Intel Wireless Centrino for Desktop 

Int4e RAID Controllers Supporting SAS/SATA Technology

Intel RAID Controllers Supporting SAS Technology

Intel Server Board S3420GPO

For once my neurotic personality and general distrust of the human race has led me to prepare for this! I've been filing away drivers, updates, etc for years and didn't know why. I hope this will help people. I can upload any of these to Google Drive or something since Intel can't be bothered with them, won't spare a TINY bit of electricity and server space for older hardware... the above, excluding ISO's (1.8GB) is 13.2GB of data. Intel really can't spare that? I'm stuck housing and distributing them now? Intel, just send everything to me, I'll co-locate a server to do what you hace failed to do!

DoinStuff

DoinStuff
Beginner

And just FYI, the NASA Space Shuttle project, through it's entire life, utilized Intel 386 processors! They wanted a processor that didn't take much power, was stable, reliable, and the 386 performed every floating point calculation they needed with precision accuracy! NASA stockpilked 386 processors to ensure they could get through the entire life of the space shuittles! According to Wikipedia, that was from 1981 until 2011 - 30 years!

But after only 3 years of support for three DX79SR, Intel pulled the plug on support, and after 7 years did away with everything..

AlHill
Super User

Having worked on a couple of NASA projects, there are special provisions for their support. You cannot make such claims, as they are akin to comparing apples and oranges.

The situation with Intel's policy of discontinuing products is what it is. If you have a business case for yourself personally, state it. Otherwise, it is time to abandon this issue.

Doc

DoinStuff
Beginner

First of all, I can make that claim. I simply stated the Space Shuttle used 386 processors. Nothing more. Are you denying that? I never mentioned anything about any"special provisions for their support" - I do recall saying the stockpiled them. Are you denying that? Or do you have some other problem with me I'm not understanding here.

DoinStuff

Added:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-todays-spacecraft-still-run-on-1990s-processors/

"...the International Space Station, which has several computers, with the most important being command computers which use the Intel i386 -- which was first released in 1985. The Space Shuttle, retired last year, also ran many essential functions on the i386 chipset." 

And if you read tyhe article there is good reason for that.  

n_scott_pearson

BTW,

1. With the 386, unless you used software emulation, you needed a 387 co-processor to perform floating point operations. It wasn't until the 486 that floating point was integrated into the processor.
  2. These weren't run-of-the-mill 386 processors (or 387 co-processors) that NASA used. They had to be special hardened versions to support their use in space.

...S