Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

secure boot

mgour
Beginner

Hi All

Does anyone on here know if if I delete the secure boot keys without backing them up if that will cause a problem when installing windows 8.1 on a new pc build. I'm booting from DVD but it won't let me because its in secure mode. I can't yet turn off secure mode because in order to do this I need to clear the secure boot keys. I'm using an asus z97-E motherboard with i5 haswell. When I try to save the secure keys it says 'unable to write to file - dbx' - I can't figure out from anywhere or any other forum what this means, and whether I am safe to clear them anyway.

the dbx file appears to be present because when I ask it to load the default it does, but I can't save them either. I've spent two days trying to sort this out and am now at the end of my tether!

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Hans_B_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I would suggest checking with Microsoft* directly, they would be the most indicated to assist you with this question.