cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwong6
Beginner

support 3TB harddisk by lagacy motherboard

Hi Intel,

Can the legacy motherboard DG965SS with BIOS version MQ96510J.86A.1754.2008.1117.0002 support 3TB or above harddisk volumn?

looking forward to your reply.

Ray

0 Kudos
6 Replies
rwong6
Beginner

dear Al,

Thanks for your comment.

I would not use the 3TB drive as a boot disk, only for storage of files instead. Therefore, i think UEFI might not be necessary to support. Am i right?

Ray

AlHill
Super User

Yes, I was going to add that the microsoft link was for a boot drive.

As far as recognizing the drive otherwise, I just do not know and I did not see anything in the tech spec.

From the Microsoft link:

Overall requirements for a non-bootable data volume

For a system to be able to address the maximum capacity of a device that has a storage capacity of more than 2 TB, the following prerequisites apply:

• The disk must be initialized by using GPT.
  • The Windows version must be one of the following (32-bit or 64-bit, unless otherwise noted, but including all SKU editions):
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 (only 64 bit version available)
    • Windows Server 2008
    • Windows 7
    • Windows Vista
  • The latest storage drivers from your storage controller manufacturer must be installed. For example, if your system uses an Intel storage controller that is set to "RAID" mode, make sure that you have the latest applicable drivers from the http://www.intel.com/p/en_us/support/highlights/chpsts/imsm/ Intel support site.
  • Overall, you should contact your system vendor to determine whether the system supports device sizes of more than 2 TB.

Please do not say you intend to run WIndows 10...

Doc

rwong6
Beginner

I am using win7 64 bits

I think the most critical point that i am not sure is the compatibility on the lagacy BIOS.

AlHill
Super User

We will just have to wait for one of the Intel staff to confirm.

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

If you install a drive that is larger than can be supported, one of two things will happen, either the BIOS will not see or support this drive or the BIOS will see only a portion of this drive. Regardless, once you are in the O/S environment, the drive should be completely accessible (Windows 7 (with SP1) has support for GPT partition tables).

I have a (same Chipset & BIOS generation) DQ965GF board in my bone pile. I will see if I can get it running. If I can, I have a 4TB drive I can try connecting to it...

I will let you know...

...S