Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11359 Discussions

uefi boot and Windows 8 64 bit

sredk
Beginner

Hi. I have installed the motherboard DH77EB. UEFI is enabled, Legacy bios is disabled. SATA - RAID, second videocard is Asus HD7850. At system boot, the message that "Video OptionRom Authenticate Fail", but Windows 8 loads and works fine (display cable is connected to internal grafic card). If the display cable is connected to an external video card, the download takes place at a black screen as long as you are prompted to enter Windows 8.

Secure Boot enabled/disabled don't change this problem.

Microsoft Support says this problem of system board.

Help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

The problem is that your HD7850 doesn't have UEFI BIOS extensions and the system can't initialize/enumerate it to the operating system during the UEFI mode boot sequence.

AFAIK, the only add-in video card that has UEFI BIOS extensions available are certain models of the nVidia 600 series. I haven't seen any mention of ATI's support for UEFI. I ended up ditching my Radeon HD5850 for this reason. The Intel HD4000 integrated GPU has been more than adequate for me, but I'm not a gamer.

If you really need to use the ATI/AMD video card your only option at present is to install Windows in legacy BIOS mode.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
idata
Community Manager

The problem is that your HD7850 doesn't have UEFI BIOS extensions and the system can't initialize/enumerate it to the operating system during the UEFI mode boot sequence.

AFAIK, the only add-in video card that has UEFI BIOS extensions available are certain models of the nVidia 600 series. I haven't seen any mention of ATI's support for UEFI. I ended up ditching my Radeon HD5850 for this reason. The Intel HD4000 integrated GPU has been more than adequate for me, but I'm not a gamer.

If you really need to use the ATI/AMD video card your only option at present is to install Windows in legacy BIOS mode.

View solution in original post

sredk
Beginner

ASUS said that the problem is in the motherboard. Their card supports Uefi.

idata
Community Manager

I see that there is Radeon cards with UEFI GOP support.

http://www.powercolor.com/Global/UEFI.asp PowerColor Official Website - Graphics, Cases, Power Supply

http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/news/message.en/items/radeon-hd-7870-jokercard-incredible-value.htm... Radeon HD 7870XT jokerCard - Incredible value - Graphic solutions GeForce & Radeon

MSI, Sapphire and VTX3D also offers hybrid vbios for their Radeon cards, on request.

But it seems that ASUS has not released UEFI VBIOS for their cards. Shame.

sredk
Beginner

Thanks, I finally got a sensible answer

idata
Community Manager

Maybe the message you saw is related to this:

Secure Boot requires a graphics card with a signed option ROM - we can't launch the opROM if the code is unsigned (security hole).

@rbmorse Legacy BIOS mode is not the only option, he can use UEFI Boot but he must have Legacy Boot enabled as well, for the graphics card to work. But the best is to continue using IGP to boot Windows 8 and use ATI for games.

sredk
Beginner

I'm using now IGP and Lucid Virtu MVP. It works, but I do not like when things are not as it should work. I sent an inquiry to Asus about this problem. Within 48 hours, promised to answer.

When I turn on Legacy BIOS and UEFI together, the error is not detected.