Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

unable to use 4 sticks of ram on dz77ga-70k board. all 4 sticks identical. 2 sticks run fine in blue slots. 4 sticks causes blue screen.

i have two sets of 16gb (4x4) memory sticks. 1 16gb set is gskill and the other 16gb set is crucial. both sets where bought in a set of matching 4x4=16gb.

Using only 2 sticks memory in blue slots works great. Using 4 sticks of memory causes blue screen. This happens with both brands of memory.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

What are your memory specs, and what processor are you using?

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

sorry, guess i should have gave more info.

(Crucial BLT2KIT4G3D1869DT2TXOB) 2x4gb kit (8gb total) ..... 2 kits for 16gb total .....

• DDR3 PC3-14900 • 9-9-9-27 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1866 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 • Total 16gb

(Gskill F3-12800CL8D-4GBXM) This is a 2x2gb kit (4gb total) ......DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 2gbx2 XMP CL8-8-8-24 1.5V

(Gskill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM) This is a 2x4gb kit (8gb total) ......Same specs ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Total12gb

Dz77ga-70k Board and I7 2600K

Currently Running Windows 10x64. Two sticks in blue slots run fine but add 2 more in white slots cause blue screen with different errors. looking up errors on google all refer to memory.

Tried same setup on Windows 8.1x64 and Windows 7x64. Same issue. Unable to use all slots

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Well, you've either got bad DIMM(s) or bad/noisy DIMM socket(s). Test with a single DIMM and try it in each socket. If it works, repeat with one of the other DIMMs. If all four work tested this way, you will know it isn't a bad DIMM. Next, test with two DIMMS in blue and then in black sockets. If ok, then you know the issue is noise across sockets of a channel. Last thing to try is using all four DIMMS but override BIOS configuration so DIMMS operate at 1333.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

You have a 2nd gen processor. I noticed in the technical specification http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/desktop/dz77ga-70k/dz77ga-70k_... http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/desktop/dz77ga-70k/dz77ga-70k_...

on section 1.1.1 this bit of information:

Note: DDR3 1600 MHz DIMMs are only supported by 3rd generation Intel Core processor family processors

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello, dcheser698:

Please refer to the previous post, I believe that it answers to your issue; however, if you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

sorry for the delay, took a short vacation,,,lol.

ok, here is what i have tried. well first of all let me say that i do understand that 1600mhz and 1866mhz are not supported by this motherboard (dz77ga-70k) if i am using a second gen cpu (i7 2600k). I could not find in the product spec manual what is supported in this setup. Would 1333mhz be supported ?

And in all my testing i have had the memory set at 1333mhz in the BIOS.

Back to what i have tried...

i have done this with both the 1600mhz kit and 1866mhz kit and both set to 1333 in BIOS.

one dimm tested in each slot ........works fine

two dimms in blue slots only........works fine

two dimms in black slots only........works fine

these configurations all work fine in any order i install the dimms.

when i install all 4 dimms that is when i have problems (such as blue screen).

my question is......supported or not, why will any single or dual dimm configuration work set as 1333 but not with 4 dimms ???????

i realize i am going to probably have to buy new memory. if so what should i use in this setup (dz77ga070k / i7 2600k) 1333mhz ?? 1066mhz ?? what will it support ??

0 Kudos
Highlighted

One last test to perform: Install two DIMMs into a single channel (that's a pair of black and blue (pun intended) connectors). If this works, try them in the other channel.

The previous tests verified that the DIMMs themselves seem to be ok (best I can say; this wasn't an exhaustive test) and that the DIMM sockets and the memory channels in the processor seem to be working. This extra test is to see whether the channel(s) is/are having any issues. The processor can handle a certain level of noise on the buses for each of the two memory channels. When two DIMMs are installed on a single channel, this can multiply the noise (including by creating reflections on the bus).

Intel only warrants channel bus speeds that they actually (and exhaustively) test. This does not mean that faster bus speeds will not work, just that they were not as exhaustively tested (and, the faster the speed, the less testing that will have occurred) or guaranteed. In the 2nd generation processors, this was at 1066 and 1333 MHz. In 3rd and 4th generation processors, this was at 1333 and 1600 MHz. From the standpoint of the board, it was designed and tested for 3rd generation processors, so -- at least from a base noise level -- validation for acceptable levels at 1600 MHz was performed (and, in fact, was performed at higher levels since this was one of the premiere 7 Series boards Intel produced). This does not mean, however, that there won't be individual outlier boards that have problems (for example, a decoupling capacitor or termination resistor with poor or degraded performance; not everything can be caught in the factory; some degradation happens over time and is not apparent immediately).

Ok, where was I going with this? I am building the case for locking the speed at 1333 MHz. Yea, I too would hate to leave possible performance gains on the floor, but the more impactful improvement will come from increasing the memory to 32GB than will come from any increase in individual channel performance.

Next, since this board implements only a single regulator for channel voltage (i.e. does not support separately programmable voltages for each channel), there is the possibility that the voltage delivered when four DIMMs are present may droop a little and this could result in failures. It shouldn't occur but, well, stuff happens. Thus, you could try using the settings in the BIOS to slightly increase the memory voltage and see if this is enough to make the four DIMMs work. This is truly something that is outside of my areas of expertise, so I would suggest that you consult the overclocking experts before attempting this...

Hope this info helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Okay, this whole memory issue has me baffled. I am just going to buy some new memory and try that. Should i get 1333mhz or 1066mhz for my setup.

Dz77ga-70k boardd and I7 2600k cpu.

i have tried everything that was advised. Everything works in any configuration other than having all for slots populated.

I have even installed the 1866mhz (two dimms in blue slots) and setting the XMP profile for 1866mhz and they work fine. Just cannot understand why when set to run at 1333mhz i cannot use all four dimms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Purchase 1333, not 1066.

I explained this. Usually, the issue is that the combination of the noise generated by the processor, the board and the DIMMs that are together on a channel is high enough that the processor's memory controllers cannot reliably read the data. Using only one DIMM per channel is one way to avoid this issue (less noise, no bus reflections, etc.). Replacing the DIMMs can improve the situation, so this is not an unreasonable thing to try...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I may have (by posting different issues caused confussion) as it applies to some of my problems.

I am aware that windows 10 is not supported i just more or less have it installed to see if i like it.

My system is setup to boot into windows 7, 8.1, and 10. Each Operating system is on its own ssd. when booting to one OS i remove the sata cables from other two ssd.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Like Scott said, if you buy new RAM, buy 1333. But you will find that 1333 is not commonly available any more. Crucial no longer offers it, but they will tell you that their 1600 works perfectly well for 1333 applications, and given your board, that's probably true. Other people I know have tried Crucial 1600 for 1333 applications and found it to be reliable. Another option is Corsair XMS3 1333, which I have used with 100% success, and is still available at Newegg.

0 Kudos