Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1641 Discussions

About QR Decomposition FPGA samples of devcloud

yyjpro
New Contributor I

For the QR decomposition sample, I can not get the right result according to the guidance.  There are many errors that happened in the devcloud.

The directory is

oneAPI-samples/DirectProgramming/DPC++FPGA/ReferenceDesigns/qrd

And I use mkdir to get the build directory.

Then  use "cmake .. -DFPGA_BOARD=intel_s10sx_pac:pac_s10" to use FPGA D5005 PAC.

And I use "qsub -I -l nodes=1:fpga:ppn=2 -d ." to use this FPGA node. 

Then "make fpga_emu", but many error emerge.  

[ 33%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/qrd.fpga_emu.dir/qrd_demo.cpp.o
In file included from /home/u77513/oneAPI-samples/DirectProgramming/DPC++FPGA/ReferenceDesigns/qrd/src/qrd_demo.cpp:32:
In file included from /glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_extensions.hpp:10:
/glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_device_selector.hpp:54:61: error: expected identifier or '{'
namespace __SYCL2020_DEPRECATED("use 'ext::intel' instead") INTEL {
^
/glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_device_selector.hpp:54:61: error: C++ requires a type specifier for all declarations
/glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_device_selector.hpp:55:3: error: expected expression
using namespace ext::intel;
^
/glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_device_selector.hpp:56:2: error: expected ';' after top level declarator
}
^
;
In file included from /home/u77513/oneAPI-samples/DirectProgramming/DPC++FPGA/ReferenceDesigns/qrd/src/qrd_demo.cpp:32:
In file included from /glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_extensions.hpp:11:
In file included from /glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_lsu.hpp:10:
/glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_utils.hpp:43:61: error: expected identifier or '{'
^
/glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_utils.hpp:43:61: error: C++ requires a type specifier for all declarations
/glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_utils.hpp:44:3: error: expected expression
^
/glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_utils.hpp:45:2: error: expected ';' after top level declarator
}
^
;
In file included from /glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_extensions.hpp:11:
/glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_lsu.hpp:130:61: error: expected identifier or '{'
^
/glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_lsu.hpp:130:61: error: C++ requires a type specifier for all declarations
/glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_lsu.hpp:131:3: error: expected expression
^
/glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_lsu.hpp:132:2: error: expected ';' after top level declarator
}
^
;
In file included from /glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_extensions.hpp:12:
/glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_reg.hpp:49:61: error: expected identifier or '{'
^
/glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_reg.hpp:49:61: error: C++ requires a type specifier for all declarations
/glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_reg.hpp:50:3: error: expected expression
^
/glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_reg.hpp:51:2: error: expected ';' after top level declarator
}
^
;
In file included from /glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/fpga_extensions.hpp:13:
/glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/pipes.hpp:205:61: error: expected identifier or '{'
^
/glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/pipes.hpp:205:61: error: C++ requires a type specifier for all declarations
/glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2021.4/inteloneapi/compiler/2021.4.0/linux/include/sycl/ext/intel/pipes.hpp:206:3: error: expected expression
^
fatal error: too many errors emitted, stopping now [-ferror-limit=]
20 errors generated.

src/CMakeFiles/qrd.fpga_emu.dir/build.make:62: recipe for target 'src/CMakeFiles/qrd.fpga_emu.dir/qrd_demo.cpp.o' failed
make[3]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/qrd.fpga_emu.dir/qrd_demo.cpp.o] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:91: recipe for target 'src/CMakeFiles/qrd.fpga_emu.dir/all' failed
make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/qrd.fpga_emu.dir/all] Error 2
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:135: recipe for target 'src/CMakeFiles/fpga_emu.dir/rule' failed
make[1]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/fpga_emu.dir/rule] Error 2
Makefile:131: recipe for target 'fpga_emu' failed
make: *** [fpga_emu] Error 2

So how to solve this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
yyjpro
New Contributor I

Hi, @BoonBengT_Intel :

Thanks for your reply.

I have understood the cause of the problem from your description and explanation, but my account still cannot use the devcloud_login command. I will post this problem in another thread here . Thanks again!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @yyjpro

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that you have some inquiries regarding Intel® DevCloud and FPGA samples. We have a forum for those specific products and questions so we are moving it to the Intel® DevCloud Forum so it can get answered more quickly.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
yyjpro
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @yyjpro,

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum and hope all is well.
I believe you are following the steps in this link here yes?

Would you be able to provide the devcloud node# which you are connected to and facing the error?
Hope to hear from you soon.

Best Wishes
BB

yyjpro
New Contributor I

I use "qsub -I -l nodes=1:ppn=2 -d ." to compile the FPGA emulator and it succeeds.

and then use  "qsub -I -l nodes=1:fpga:ppn=2 -d . " or "qsub -I -l nodes=1:fpga_runtime:ppn=2 -d ." to compile the FPGA hardware, when submit make fpga,  they failed. 

I want to know why it will happen and how to submit FPGA nodes for compiling hardware correctly. Do they need  files like run_ fpga_ hw.sh?

failfail

0 Kudos
yyjpro
New Contributor I

I use fpga_compile to compile the hardware, but also emerges several errors.

make fpga
Scanning dependencies of target qrd.fpga
[ 33%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/qrd.fpga.dir/qrd_demo.cpp.o
[ 66%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/qrd.fpga.dir/qrd.cpp.o
[100%] Linking CXX executable ../qrd.fpga
Warning: Command has been deprecated. Please use -ffp-reassociate instead of -fp-relaxed
warning: -reuse-exe file '/home/u77513/oneAPI-samples/DirectProgramming/DPC++FPGA/ReferenceDesigns/qrd/build/qrd.fpga' not found; ignored
aoc: Compiling for FPGA. This process may take several hours to complete. Prior to performing this compile, be sure to check the reports to ensure the design will meet your performance targets. If the reports indicate performance targets are not being met, code edits may be required. Please refer to the oneAPI FPGA Optimization Guide for information on performance tuning applications for FPGAs.
Error (23035): Tcl error:
Error (23031): Evaluation of Tcl script build/entry.tcl unsuccessful
Error: Quartus Prime Shell was unsuccessful. 2 errors, 0 warnings
For more details, full Quartus compile output can be found in files quartuserr.tmp and quartus_sh_compile.log.
Error: Compiler Error, not able to generate hardware

llvm-foreach:
dpcpp: error: fpga compiler command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make[3]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/qrd.fpga.dir/build.make:99: qrd.fpga] Error 1
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:100: src/CMakeFiles/qrd.fpga.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:215: src/CMakeFiles/fpga.dir/rule] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:170: fpga] Error 2

0 Kudos
yyjpro
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
yyjpro
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
yyjpro
New Contributor I

Hi, @BoonBengT_Intel :

I am sorry to bother you, I had posted my problems above and solved part of them by myself. BUT I think I need to reorganize those problems here to make it a clear read.

If you could help me to solve and understand the remaining problems, I would be good!

The sample is about QR decomposition in DPC++FPGA.

First, I submitted the following node to compile for FPGA emulation successful.

qsub -I -l nodes=1:fpga_compile:ppn=2 -d .

make fpga_emu

and here is the result, but I don't know why there are so many warnings. (?)

-- Configuring the design to run on FPGA board intel_s10sx_pac:pac_s10
-- ROWS_COMPONENT=256
-- COLS_COMPONENT=256
-- FIXED_ITERATIONS=105
-- SEED=5
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/u77513/oneAPI-samples/DirectProgramming/DPC++FPGA/ReferenceDesigns/qrd/build
Scanning dependencies of target qrd.fpga_emu
[ 33%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/qrd.fpga_emu.dir/qrd_demo.cpp.o
/home/u77513/oneAPI-samples/DirectProgramming/DPC++FPGA/ReferenceDesigns/qrd/src/qrd_demo.cpp:192:15: warning: comparison with NaN always evaluates to false in fast floating point modes [-Wtautological-constant-compare]
          if (std::isnan(v_matrix[row][col][0]) ||
              ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/u77513/oneAPI-samples/DirectProgramming/DPC++FPGA/ReferenceDesigns/qrd/src/qrd_demo.cpp:193:15: warning: comparison with NaN always evaluates to false in fast floating point modes [-Wtautological-constant-compare]
              std::isnan(v_matrix[row][col][1])) {
2 warnings generated.
/home/u77513/oneAPI-samples/DirectProgramming/DPC++FPGA/ReferenceDesigns/qrd/src/qrd_demo.cpp:192:15: warning: comparison with NaN always evaluates to false in fast floating point modes [-Wtautological-constant-compare]
          if (std::isnan(v_matrix[row][col][0]) ||
/home/u77513/oneAPI-samples/DirectProgramming/DPC++FPGA/ReferenceDesigns/qrd/src/qrd_demo.cpp:193:15: warning: comparison with NaN always evaluates to false in fast floating point modes [-Wtautological-constant-compare]
              std::isnan(v_matrix[row][col][1])) {
2 warnings generated.
[ 66%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/qrd.fpga_emu.dir/qrd.cpp.o
[100%] Linking CXX executable ../qrd.fpga_emu
Platform name: Intel(R) FPGA Emulation Platform for OpenCL(TM)
Device name: Intel(R) FPGA Emulation Device
Driver version: 2021.12.9.0.24_005321
OpenCL program was successfully created from SPIR-V file /home/u77513/tmp/qrd_demo-3c97b6-63c7cf.spv
Using build options: -g  -I "/home/u77513/tmp"

build log:
Compilation started
Compilation done
Linking started
Linking done
Device build started
Options used by backend compiler: -g  -I "/home/u77513/tmp"
Device build done
Kernel <_ZTS3QRD> was successfully vectorized (16)
Done.
OpenCL program binary file was successfully created: /home/u77513/tmp/qrd_demo-f12b0d-bbc0b9.aocx
[100%] Built target qrd.fpga_emu
Scanning dependencies of target fpga_emu
[100%] Built target fpga_emu

Then, I want to compile for FPGA hardware also using the following command. 

qsub -I -l nodes=1:fpga_compile:ppn=2 -d .

make fpga

But the errors happened, as following. Maybe the reason is not every node in devcloud have FPGA hardware ?

Scanning dependencies of target qrd.fpga
[ 33%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/qrd.fpga.dir/qrd_demo.cpp.o
[ 66%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/qrd.fpga.dir/qrd.cpp.o
[100%] Linking CXX executable ../qrd.fpga
Warning: Command has been deprecated. Please use -ffp-reassociate instead of -fp-relaxed
warning: -reuse-exe file '/home/u77513/oneAPI-samples/DirectProgramming/DPC++FPGA/ReferenceDesigns/qrd/build/qrd.fpga' not found; ignored
aoc: Compiling for FPGA. This process may take several hours to complete.  Prior to performing this compile, be sure to check the reports to ensure the design will meet your performance targets.  If the reports indicate performance targets are not being met, code edits may be required.  Please refer to the oneAPI FPGA Optimization Guide for information on performance tuning applications for FPGAs.
Error (23035): Tcl error:
Error (23031): Evaluation of Tcl script build/entry.tcl unsuccessful
Error: Quartus Prime Shell was unsuccessful. 2 errors, 0 warnings
For more details, full Quartus compile output can be found in files quartuserr.tmp and quartus_sh_compile.log.
Error: Compiler Error, not able to generate hardware

llvm-foreach:
dpcpp: error: fpga compiler command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make[3]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/qrd.fpga.dir/build.make:99: qrd.fpga] Error 1
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:100: src/CMakeFiles/qrd.fpga.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:215: src/CMakeFiles/fpga.dir/rule] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:170: fpga] Error 2

I really look forward to your reply! Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @yyjpro,

Apologies for the delayed in response, for some of the screenshot I can see that the batch job command are executed in the headnodes (i.e. u77513@login-2).

Please try to use the 'devcloud_login' command, followed by selected the appropriate hardware, in this case S10.
Followed by the steps mention in the github guide, and that might work.
Reason being submitting batch job command in the headnodes sometimes will lead to corrupted nodes. (i.e. s001-n081)
Hope that helps.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
yyjpro
New Contributor I

hi, @BoonBengT_Intel :

I tried "devcloud_login" command in the terminal, but it failed. 

dev.png

And I check the resources about this command, and I then found the FPGA-devloud in the Github guide in which it can successfully use this command. So I decide to use FPGA-devcloud. But I cannot register FPGA-devcloud because I couldn't find the register page like https://intelsoftwaresites.secure.force.com/fpgadevcloud And it will go to another devcloud registration page. So does FPGA-devcloud no longer exist?

I really look forward to your reply! Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @yyjpro,

For the "devcloud_login" command failure, some configuration are required for the command.
Can you please refer to the steps 5.1&5.2 in the devcloud setup here.
Hope that helps.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @yyjpro,

Good day, just checking in to see if there is any further doubts in regards to this matter.
Hope we have clarify your doubts.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
yyjpro
New Contributor I

hi, @BoonBengT_Intel :

Thanks for your reply.

I tried the instructions on FPGA-devcloud you gave me and logged in to devcloud using Mobaxterm, but I still can't use FPGA-devcloud. Is it because we can't register FPGA-devcloud now? I have been trying to open the web page in the following figure given by FPGA-devcloud, but I will be directed to the devcloud register web page.

4.png

In the MobaXterm, it's the same as Cygwin or VScode. And also cannot use devcloud_login command.

3.png

Here I tried several times how to create an FPGA executable(target qrd.fpga) using the FPGA compiler, the nodes are s001-n067, but as before, it failed which shows below. This is the main problem I want to solve.

1.png

But FPGA emulator is successful.

2.png

I really look forward to your reply! Thanks so much! @BoonBengT_Intel 

0 Kudos
yyjpro
New Contributor I

Hi, @BoonBengT_Intel :

Then I searched Intel website, but I didn't find the registration information about FPGA-devcloud. I remember there was the FPGA-devcloud a few months ago. Is there only devcloud instead of FPGA-devcloud now?

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @yyjpro,

The main problem here I see is due to the incorrect node from the qsub command.
For that you would need to use the devcloud_login command to solved that.
As noted on the screenshot error provided, the node 's001-n067' is a nodes with no attached hardware.

2021-11-22_11-21-43.png

Hence the reason why emulation are working and compilation with actual hardware are failing.
That being said, would suggest to create a different thread here to check on the account status/registration.
Hope that clarify and apologies for the inconvenient cause.

Best Wishes
BB

yyjpro
New Contributor I

Hi, @BoonBengT_Intel :

Thanks for your reply.

I have understood the cause of the problem from your description and explanation, but my account still cannot use the devcloud_login command. I will post this problem in another thread here . Thanks again!

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @yyjpro

Greetings, as there is further clarification on what is provided. Hence thread will no longer monitor this thread. For new queries, please feel free to open a new thread and we will be right with you. Pleasure having you here.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos