Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1641 Discussions

Add support for docker module

Steve_D
Employee

Hi,

Can we get the "docker" module added the the available modules on the DevCloud systems?  It looks like it is not there (see attached file)

Thanks,

Steve Dohrmann 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel forum.

Kindly let us know which devcloud (oneAPI/Edge/FPGA) you are using.

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
Steve_D
Employee

Hi,

I'm using oneAPI. 

By the way, I realize my attached file show a modules list on the log-in server.  I subsequently ran in on an instance and do not see docker there.

Thanks,

Steve Dohrmann

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience. As of now, we don't have docker in Intel oneAPI Devcloud. As users don't have admin privileges in DevCloud, you will not be able to install. But we will consider this as feature request.

Intel DevCloud® is a shared environment which comes with pre-installed validated Intel® oneAPI software and complimentary packages. As a policy we do not install custom (open source or 3rd party licensed) software to the environment and recommend that you explore available and equivalent oneAPI SW tools or components. You may be able to install software locally in your user folder using < > “pip install –user” (dash dash user switch allows you to install local in your home directory)

If you have any further issue, please let us know.

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. We have provided your feedback to the relevant team. At this moment there is no visibility when it will be implemented and available for use. Please let me know if we can go ahead and close this case?

Regards,
Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
Peng_T_Intel
Employee

Our project is built on top of the oneAPI docker image:

FROM intel/oneapi-basekit https://hub.docker.com/r/intel/oneapi

and many other public software packages:

maven

openjdk-17-jdk

libOpenCL

java-17-openjdk-amd64

Without administrator right, these packages cannot be installed on the devCloud system and our project cannot run on the devCloud systems.

Docker is a standard development environment in all public cloud - AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, that enables user installation of 3rd party dependency in a sandbox without affecting other users and applications on the same system. Docker users only need to be setup in the docker-user group without the need of administrator privilege.

We would like to have a meeting with the team responsible of the devCloud software installation to resolve this show stopper issue.

Thanks,

Peng.

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for sending us your Feature Request for the Intel oneAPI DevCloud. We have decided to close this issue at this time since it is clear that we will not be implementing this particular request in the near future. Your request will be kept on record in our database. We will continue to review this request and all other feature requests each year during planning for the next major release of the product. Your feedback and suggestions are important to us. Thank you for sending us this request to improve our product.

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos