Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1641 Discussions

Environment Modules

Christgau__Steffen

Hi everybody,

coming from the HPC domain I miss environment modules on the DevCloud. Are there any plans to make them available here as well? I could install them on my own in my home directory, but they might be beneficial for others as well.

Regards, Steffen

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JEYANTHKRI_N_Intel

Thanks for posting the query.

Could you please let us know which environment module are you referring to. 
If you are referring to packages like tensorflow, caffe etc, we suggest you to install this in your home folder using conda environment so that you have better control over it.

0 Kudos
Christgau__Steffen

I'm referring to https://modules.readthedocs.io which allows to change environment variables, like PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH, to be changed in an easy way. That way switching between different compilers or even versions of the same compiler is simplified. This also relates to MPI. On the devcloud nodes, there is, e.g., an mpicc under /usr/bin/ which refers to the system-wide Open MPI installation and another mpicc instance for the Intel Parallel studio installation. For mpiexec there are four binaries (Intel MPI, Intel Python 2+3, and Open MPI). This may get more complicated for an installation of oneAPI which also has those tools available (among others). Switching between installations by using the modules (and not by sourcing shell files) would be very helpful in order to examine regression or performance problems. 

Regards

0 Kudos
Light_Intel

This issue is handled privately. No further action. Closing

0 Kudos