Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1638 Discussions

Experiencing error in PuTTY preparation step to add server key to cache

Rashawn_K_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

I am following Preparation instructions from https://devcloud.intel.com/oneapi/connect/connect-with-ssh-windows/, but in step to add Server Key to Cache, when I click ''Open", I get a PuTTY Fatal Error and message says "Network error:  Connection timed out". I loaded my ppk key via Pageant from the Downloads directory. What do I need to do to resolve this error or is there another method to add the server key to the cache?

Thank you,

-Rashawn

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi Rashawn ,

Thank you for posting in Intel DevCloud Forum .

Please check these pre-requisites while you connect from Windows using PuTTY :

1. Check if you are behind a firewall or using a closed internet connection or proxy. If so, kindly try connecting once from an open internet connection to check if the issue has something to do with internet connection
  2. Make sure that you have downloaded the correct the keys – SSH keys for windows and the .ppk file is loaded to pageant every time you try to connect.

For more details and suggestions regarding connectivity issues, refer :

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-DevCloud/Getting-Starated-and-Frequently-asked-questions-on-DevCloud/m-p/1173414

Please contact us if you still experience the same issue.

Thank you ,

Raeesa

0 Kudos
Rashawn_K_Intel1
Employee

Hello Raeesa,

Thank you for your response. I went through the steps from scratch, making sure I downloaded the correct key and loaded it into Pageant.  I was not able to complete the first step of "Adding Server Key to Cache". When I click to 'Open' the PuTTY session, I receive a Network time out error.  However, when I log off of the Intel VPN, I am able to complete all steps including connecting to the Dev Cloud. How do I configure a PuTTY session, given that I am using a closed internet connection or proxy via my employer's VPN? From behind the same firewall, I have successfully created a Linux ssh connection based on  the instructions provided for connecting via Linux and SSH. Is there something similar for when I want to use PuTTY while being behind my employer's firewall instead of my Linux workstation?

Thank you,

-Rashawn

0 Kudos
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi Rashawn,

You can follow these steps to connect to DevCloud via putty under closed internet connection or proxy:

1)     Load your DevCloud access key to pageant

2)     Create a session ‘dev-guest’ in PuTTY with below configuration .

Under ‘Session’ on left category bar :

Hostname : guest@devcloud.intel.com , Port : 22

Connection type : SSH

Under ‘Connection’à’Proxy’ on left category bar:

Proxy type : SOCKS 5 , port : 1080

Proxy host name : proxy.jf.intel.com

Local proxy command : connect %host %port\n

3)     Save and open

4)     Create another session ‘dev-vpn’:

Under ‘Session’ on left category bar :

Hostname :uxxxxx@c009 , Port : 22

Connection type : SSH

Under ‘Connection’à’Proxy’ on left category bar :

Proxy type :Local, port : 80

Proxy host name : proxy

Local proxy command : "C:\Program Files\PuTTY\plink.exe" -load dev-guest -nc %host:%port

5)     Save and open to connect to DevCloud.

Regards,

Raeesa

0 Kudos
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi,

Has the solution provided helped you ? Please let us know if the issue still persists.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Rashawn_K_Intel1
Employee

Hello Raessa,

I was not able to connect via PuTTY. I get the following error when I open the first dev-guest configuration:

Using username "guest".

Authenticating with public key "imported-openssh-key" from agent

SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_7.6p1 Ubuntu-4ubuntu0.3

Protocol mismatch.

The dev-vpn configuration also fails upon opening:

PuTTY Error

Unable to open connection to c009

Host does not exist

Thank you,

-Rashawn

0 Kudos
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi,

We have tried these steps from our side and were able to connect successfully. The error might be due to minor mistakes in PuTTY configuration. Could you please share the screenshot of configuration of dev-guest and dev-vpn (‘session’ and ‘connectionàproxy’). We will try to debug your issue.

Meanwhile if you want to connect to DevCloud, we have other methods like Cygwin ,SSH client, VS code. mobaxterm etc.

Please refer https://devcloud.intel.com/oneapi/connect/

Thanks ,

Raeesa

0 Kudos
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi,

Is your issue resolved ? Please let us know the updates .

Thank you

0 Kudos
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi Rashawn,

We haven't heard back from you . We are discontinuing monitoring this thread. Please raise a new query in case if you have any further issues.

Thank you,

Raeesa

0 Kudos