Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1638 Discussions

FPGA Builds Broken on DevCloud

Christoph9
New Contributor II

Hello,

since today I encouter error when compiling for the Arria10 PAC. The build runs fine at the beginning, but crashes near the end of it.

The .o file of the job gives no real hints what's going wrong:

aoc: Compiling for FPGA. This process may take several hours to complete.  Prior to performing this compile, be sure to check the reports to ensure the design will meet your performance targets.  If the reports indicate performance targets are not being met, code edits may be required.  Please refer to the oneAPI FPGA Optimization Guide for information on performance tuning applications for FPGAs.
Error (23035): Tcl error: 
Error (23031): Evaluation of Tcl script build/entry.tcl unsuccessful
Error: Quartus Prime Shell was unsuccessful. 2 errors, 0 warnings

The .e file neither:

For more details, full Quartus compile output can be found in files quartuserr.tmp and quartus_sh_compile.log.
Error: Compiler Error, not able to generate hardware

llvm-foreach: 
icpx: error: fpga compiler command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make[3]: *** [cuda/level2/particlefilter/CMakeFiles/particlefilterLib.fpga.dir/build.make:100: cuda/level2/particlefilter/particlefilterLib.fpga] Error 1
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:3295: cuda/level2/particlefilter/CMakeFiles/particlefilterLib.fpga.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2951: cuda/level2/particlefilter/CMakeFiles/particlefilterLib_fpga.dir/rule] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:1236: particlefilterLib_fpga] Error 2

Here a short snippet of the quartus log (complete file as attachement):

Info: Quartus Prime Shell was successful. 0 errors, 237 warnings
    Info: Peak virtual memory: 3474 megabytes
    Info: Processing ended: Sat Dec 17 05:41:47 2022
    Info: Elapsed time: 00:01:38
run.sh: PLL_METADATA/PLL_METADATA_FILE is: 
clock-frequency-low:195 clock-frequency-high:390
ERROR: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: './output_files/afu_import.green_region.rbf'
ERROR: packager tool failed to create .gbs file.
Info: *******************************************************************
Info: Running Quartus Prime Shell
    Info: Version 19.2.0 Build 57 06/24/2019 SJ Pro Edition
    Info: Copyright (C) 2019  Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
    Info: Your use of Intel Corporation's design tools, logic functions 
    Info: and other software and tools, and any partner logic 
    Info: functions, and any output files from any of the foregoing 
    Info: (including device programming or simulation files), and any 
    Info: associated documentation or information are expressly subject 
    Info: to the terms and conditions of the Intel Program License 
    Info: Subscription Agreement, the Intel Quartus Prime License Agreement,
    Info: the Intel FPGA IP License Agreement, or other applicable license
    Info: agreement, including, without limitation, that your use is for
    Info: the sole purpose of programming logic devices manufactured by
    Info: Intel and sold by Intel or its authorized distributors.  Please
    Info: refer to the applicable agreement for further details, at
    Info: https://fpgasoftware.intel.com/eula.
    Info: Processing started: Sat Dec 17 04:36:27 2022
Info: Command: quartus_sh -t build/entry.tcl import
Info: Quartus(args): import
Info: Using INI file /home/u153009/tmp/main-4a28c3-d5e0be/quartus.ini
Info: Compiling revision import
    while executing
"qexec "bash build/run.sh $revision_name""
    ("default" arm line 9)
    invoked from within
"switch $tcl_platform(platform) {
  windows {
    post_message -type error "Full compiles to generate hardware for the FPGA are available on supported ..."
    (file "build/entry.tcl" line 36)
    Error: Peak virtual memory: 979 megabytes
    Error: Processing ended: Sat Dec 17 05:41:49 2022
    Error: Elapsed time: 01:05:22

Is something wrong with the Quartus-Setup on IntelDevcloud?

Best regards and thanks in advance for your help,
Christoph

27 Replies
Christoph9
New Contributor II

Small update: The complete error message in the entry.tcl is the following:

"Full compiles to generate hardware for the FPGA are available on supported Linux platforms only. Please add -rtl to your invocation of aoc to compile without building hardware. Otherwise please run your compile on a supported Linux distribution."

So there definitely seems to be something wrong here.

Best regards,
Christoph

AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities. Could you please provide us your Sample Reproducer and steps to reproduce your issue so that we can try reproducing your issue from our end?

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
Christoph9
New Contributor II

Hey Alekhya,

this occur on all builds. I also tried the GettingStarted/Fpga_Compile example from the OneApi Samples github repo - the error occurs also there.

(Also when compiling the tutorial, I noticed there is something wrong with your header-files. I needed to remove

#include "dpc_common.hpp"

and the default exception-handler.)

u153009@s001-n068:~/oneAPI-samples/DirectProgramming/DPC++FPGA/Tutorials/GettingStarted/fpga_compile/build$ make fpga
Scanning dependencies of target fpga_compile.fpga
[ 50%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/fpga_compile.fpga.dir/fpga_compile.cpp.o
/home/u153009/oneAPI-samples/DirectProgramming/DPC++FPGA/Tutorials/GettingStarted/fpga_compile/src/fpga_compile.cpp:50:11: warning: unused type alias 'T' [-Wunused-local-typedef]
    using T = int;
          ^
1 warning generated.
/home/u153009/oneAPI-samples/DirectProgramming/DPC++FPGA/Tutorials/GettingStarted/fpga_compile/src/fpga_compile.cpp:50:11: warning: unused type alias 'T' [-Wunused-local-typedef]
    using T = int;
          ^
1 warning generated.
[100%] Linking CXX executable ../fpga_compile.fpga
aoc: Compiling for FPGA. This process may take several hours to complete.  Prior to performing this compile, be sure to check the reports to ensure the design will meet your performance targets.  If the reports indicate performance targets are not being met, code edits may be required.  Please refer to the oneAPI FPGA Optimization Guide for information on performance tuning applications for FPGAs.
For more details, full Quartus compile output can be found in files quartuserr.tmp and quartus_sh_compile.log.
Error: Compiler Error, not able to generate hardware

llvm-foreach: 
dpcpp: error: fpga compiler command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make[3]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/fpga_compile.fpga.dir/build.make:84: fpga_compile.fpga] Error 1
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:100: src/CMakeFiles/fpga_compile.fpga.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:161: src/CMakeFiles/fpga.dir/rule] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:144: fpga] Error 2
filipeborralho
New Contributor I

I am also having the same issue. The project folder is created as well as the reports, but no executable is generated and when I check the compile log I get the same situation. I've tried compiling multiple files so I don't think the problem is a bug in my code. I added a copy of the compile log as an annex.

Christoph9
New Contributor II

Any updates to this issue? Would be great if this could be fixed before the holidays...

0 Kudos
bxbxf
New Contributor I

Hello, is there any update for this ? I am also getting the same error messages for all the arria10 oneapi nodes for my own project and also for the default examples from the github DPC++FPGA folder

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi All,

We could reproduce your issue. We are working on this internally. We will get back to you soon with an update.

Regards,

Alekhya

Christoph9
New Contributor II

Hey @AlekhyaV_Intel ,

are there any updates to this? Or any work around so I can start working again on my projects using the Arria10 FPGA? Would be really great if this could be fixed soon, as I have some deadlines to face during my thesis I currently work on.

Best regards,
Christoph

0 Kudos
bxbxf
New Contributor I

Hi, 
The compilation is still not working for Arria10 and Stratix10 FPGAs I have tried s001-n142 and this is the error still. This issue started when the oneAPI is upgraded to 2023 version

llvm-foreach:
icpx: error: fpga compiler command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

0 Kudos
Christoph9
New Contributor II

Hey all,

Any updates to this? I tried loading older OneApi versions but still the same error. FPGA builds are now broken for nearly 3 weeks and I really need to continue my compiles for my master-thesis...

Isn't there any temporary workaround or better: Just a rollback of the quartus-version on the compile-nodes?

Thanks in advance,
Christoph

0 Kudos
Sue2
Beginner

Hello,

I'm having the same problem. Everything works fine for emulator or to get the reports, but it fails when I try to use the FPGA. I can't even compile the given examples.

Any solutions?

0 Kudos
Christoph9
New Contributor II

Hey Sue,

I have no solutions, even on the arria10-nodes this error occurs mostly. I am unable to compile for nearly a month now.

Just hoping that the Intel representatives don't ignore this thread for another month...

0 Kudos
AnaWilliam850
New Contributor I

I am also having the same issue. 

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi All,

Our sincere apologies for the delay. We will update you once we find the resolution.

Regards,

Alekhya

robertszafa
Novice

Hello,

I am running into the same issue with both the dpcpp and icpx -fsycl driver. Hopefully, this can be fixed soon.

Cheers,

Rob

0 Kudos
Mdcc_UVa
New Contributor I

Hello.

I would like to add that I have been having this issue since November. I work with OpenCL instead of DPC++, and I am facing equivalent problems and error messages. I made two community posts about it back when I started having problems; one for Arria 10 and the other for Stratix 10 (at first I thought they were different issues).

For completeness, the links to those community posts are:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-DevCloud/OpenCL-Invalid-Binary-for-Arria-10-FPGA-kernel/m-p/1430566

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-High-Level-Design/DevCloud-Cannot-compile-Stratix-10-kernel-Tcl-error/m-p/1430576

In my case, when compiling for Stratix 10, I recurringly see the following error message in addition to the build/entry.tcl one:

Error (16556): The synthesis RTL for ip/ddr_board/ddr_board_acl_memory_bank_divider_1.ip has not been generated. Generate the synthesis RTL form within Platform Designer.

Maybe it provides more insight into the issue.

I apologize for not seeing this community post earlier so I could add my experience and help with the solutions. I thought my posts were the only  ones about this topic (as they were for about a month), so I eventually stopped looking for the solution in other posts.

Thanks for the help. I hope the issue is resolved soon.

Manuel

0 Kudos
Mdcc_UVa
New Contributor I

Hello@hareesh

Seems like there is already another post (this one) reporting my issue, and there are people already working on a solution for it. So I won't be creating a new post/case.

Please, if you could  before closing my post/case, indicate that this post is reporting the same issue, and that it is only closed because it is a duplicate, not because it was solved.

0 Kudos
bxbxf
New Contributor I

Hi,
Is there any update to this problem ? I couldn't work on my project still and It's more than a month now!

@AlekhyaV_Intel 

AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi All,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused. We understand your concern. We have escalated this issue to the admin team. They're working on it internally. We will get back to you soo with an update.

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi @Christoph9  @filipeborralho @bxbxf @Sue2 @AnaWilliam850 @robertszafa @Mdcc_UVa ,

Thank you all for your patience and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. The Admin team has been trying to resolve this issue and it's finally fixed on Arria10 oneAPI and Stratix10 oneAPI nodes. We have tested and verified that the below samples are working fine.

Stratix10 (fpga_compile, fast_recompile), Arria10 (fpga_compile, fast_recompile, simple-add, vector-add) samples are working fine

https://github.com/oneapi-src/oneAPI-samples/tree/master/DirectProgramming/C%2B%2BSYCL_FPGA/Tutorials/GettingStarted
https://github.com/oneapi-src/oneAPI-samples/tree/master/DirectProgramming/C%2B%2BSYCL/DenseLinearAlgebra

AlekhyaV_Intel_1-1678459351643.png

AlekhyaV_Intel_0-1678459162151.png

Could you please check it from your side and let us know if the issue still persists?

If this resolves your issue, make sure to accept it as a solution. This helps others with similar issue. Thank you!

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos