Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1637 Discussions

File Missing / Deleted after days of coding [URGENT]

Eason_Leong
Beginner

May I know how can I recover the Jupyter Notebook script that I have coded for the past 4 days ago? I have been constantly updating the script for the past 4 days, and I tested it able to save automatically within the Dev Cloud, hence I didn't have any backup. Today when I tried to access back my documents, everything disappears! I cannot code everything from scratch back again. 

I will be very grateful if anyone can assist me on this issue, as I am approaching the dateline of the presentation already.

Link to my Jupyter notebook that disappears: 

https://notebooks.edge.devcloud.intel.com/user/u93779/notebooks/Reference-samples/iot-devcloud/openvino-dev-latest/tutorials/benchmarkApp_python/FYP_Radar_OpenVINO_inferencing_25102021.ipynb

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ChrisB_Intel

The first suggestion would be to create a new folder in your home directory and use that to save your files in. With regards to what you are trying to delete, if you open a terminal and run ls -al, you will likely find there are hidden files in that folder, which is why you can't delete it.

Please give that a shot and let me know.

Thanks

Chris

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ChrisB_Intel

I have opened a case with our development team to investigate what happened and determine what we can do.

I will update you as soon as I hear back.

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
ChrisB_Intel

It looks all the changes you were making were within the Reference sample directory directly? If you can tell me which file you were updating then we can look into more detail.  Was everything you did in FYP_Radar_OpenVINO_inferencing_25102021.ipynb?

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
Eason_Leong
Beginner

Yes, correct. I am doing only in 1 single Jupyter notebook called (FYP_Radar_OpenVINO_inferencing_25102021.ipynb) and it is fully done in reference-samples directory where the benchmark sample file is located insides. It is actually open through the tutorial and I just open a new notebook from the tutorial directory.

Here are the steps how I access it

1. Tutorial page of devcloud - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/tools/devcloud/edge/learn/tutorials.html?s=Newest
  2. I choose the Benchmark App sample
  3. Jupyter note book of Benchmark App is open
  4. Open the file directory (In Jupyter notebook - file - open)
  5. Create a new jupyter notebook (new - Python 3 OpenVINO 2020.3.2 LTS)
  6. And I continue to type my code
  7. In between my code, I got use git clone command to clone my dataset and save it into a folder (iwr1443-material-dataset) - The folder is still exist but the files inside all deleted.
  8. I also created another folder to store imaged called (FYP-Radar), this is also deleted.

The main directory are (copied from jupyer notebook)

Let me know if you need more details for investigation.

0 Kudos
ChrisB_Intel

Eason_Leong,

Unfortunately, anything saved in the reference_samples directories that is not source, is deleted, there is no way to recover it.

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
Eason_Leong
Beginner

May I know what is the better approach / SOP to write our own code? Where should the file located so that the file will not deleted in the next time? 

If there are relevant video / article please let me know I can read through it.

0 Kudos
Eason_Leong
Beginner

I tried to record everything again. For the 1st few lines, I am cloning my dataset from Github into the (iwr1443-material-dataset) directory. This directory is there even after all the files are deleted.

However, this is not allowable by the system as it is protected. I cannot delete it, either using the python OS library or Linux rm command line. 

My guess is, does the directory is not fully empty? Or I am just limited permission to view existing files inside? 

0 Kudos
ChrisB_Intel

The first suggestion would be to create a new folder in your home directory and use that to save your files in. With regards to what you are trying to delete, if you open a terminal and run ls -al, you will likely find there are hidden files in that folder, which is why you can't delete it.

Please give that a shot and let me know.

Thanks

Chris