Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1626 Discussions

Installing sampling driver

Utku
Novice

Hi,

I am profiling my code with VTune on the devcloud. My profiling results shows that it is using driverless perf system-wide sampling. Insteaad, I would like VTune to use the hardware event-based sampling using the sampling driver that is usually installed in the system. Here:

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/vtune-help/top/set-up-analysis-target/linux-targets/building-and-installing-the-sampling-drivers-for-linux-targets.html

I have seen some instructions to install the driver, but I couldn't be sure if I should follow them. 

Is it possible to install and use the sampling driver on devcloud for Intel VTune analysis? If so,  should I simply follow the instructions on the link, or should I do something else?

Thank you very much,

Best regards,

Utku Sirin

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Utku Sirin,

The installation and loading of sampling drivers would require root/sudo level permissions. As devcloud users are not allowed these permissions you wouldnt be able to build/load sampling drivers. We will check with admin team if its feasible to load the sampling drivers from their end . Will let you know as soon as we have an update.

Thanks

Arun Jose

ArunJ_Intel

Hi

We are checking on this internally, will soon get back to you when we have an update from devcloud admin team.

Thanks

Arun

ArunJ_Intel

Hi Utku Sirin,

Vtune sep drivers are now loaded and are available in devcloud gpu nodes. You can request a gpu node with the below command.

qsub -I -l nodes=1:gpu:ppn=2

You could use the same commands to run vtune reports and as sep is loaded your collection would use sep drivers in these nodes with GPU.

Thanks

Arun

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Utku Sirin,

Please let us know if you need any further information regarding this, If not could we stop monitoring this thread.

Thanks

Arun

0 Kudos
Utku
Novice

Hi,

I needed it for CPUs, unfortunately. But, I am done with using devcloud. So, we can drop monitoring the thread.

Thank you,

Best,

Utku

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hi

Just to clarify the sep driver that is now installed on gpu nodes can also be used for profiling CPUs of these nodes. However as you are not working on devcloud this would not be of much use right now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thanks

Arun Jose

0 Kudos