Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1626 Discussions

Need Admin support for my user directory

Lan
Novice

Hi,

Due to my hands slip, I chmod my home directory to 600! Which cause I totally lost control of my files.

Please ask Admin to reset following folder to 700, thanks!

/home/u35240

Best regards,

Lan

0 Kudos
13 Replies
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Lan,

Changing permissions of your user account does not require admin privileges. This could be done by your own user. Just use the below command.

chmod 700 /home/u35240

Thanks

Arun

0 Kudos
Lan
Novice
Hi Arun,
Thanks for reply!
But since I can not connect to DevCloud, no matter via SSH or Jupiter. I am afraid I still need admin(root)'s help.
SSH: u35240@c0092: Permission denied (publickey).
Jupiter: Server Spawn failed.
0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Lan,

This error is because you are not passing correct identity file(ssh key) in your ssh command. You could use the below command to connect to devcloud. Please replace {FULL_PATH_TO_KEY} with the the full path to your ssh key which can be downloaded from devcloud site

ssh -o ProxyCommand="ssh -T -i '{FULL_PATH_TO_KEY}' guest@devcloud.intel.com" -i '{FULL_PATH_TO_KEY}' -p 4036 u35240@c0092

A more neat alternative would be to set up a user profile by modifying ~/.ssh/config file as explained in the below link. You could also download your keys here

https://devcloud.intel.com/oneapi/connect/connect-with-ssh-linux-macos/

Arun Jose

0 Kudos
Lan
Novice

Dear Arun,

I just tried your command and got same result:

xx@NULL:~$ ssh -o ProxyCommand="ssh -T -i 'devcloud-access-key-35240.txt' guest@devcloud.intel.com" -i 'devcloud-access-key-35240.txt' -p 4036 u35240@c0092
u35240@c0092: Permission denied (publickey).

You know that, I am an experienced user on Devcloud, and such things about configuration of Key file must been done already. Please trust me that, this issue IS due to wrong permission (600) of my home directory. Because, before that action, everything is OK. And after that, none of file & folder can be accessed.

If you will, you can try it on a test account.

Only I need is asking root to: "sudo chmod 700 /home/u35240", Please!

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Sorry Lan I pointed it a part as our initial triage from our side so we could make everything was alright before we absolutely need to involve the admin team. We have forwarded your issue to the admin team will get back to you once this request is executed.

0 Kudos
Lan
Novice

Hi Arun,

It seems there is something block the progress. Do you need I provide any other information to make it go further?

I have check the web for "SSH:  Permission denied (publickey)." phenomenon, and the root cause is due to Server/Client key pair mismatch. For most cases, it is due to user hasn't setup their environment properly. But in my case, it should be due to wrong permission (my fault) of home dir, which cause "~/.ssh/authorized_keys" is not accessable by system. Details can refer here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/311558/ssh-permission-denied-publickey

I know that "want admin to sudo something" is not a usual case. But this time, it just ask to set dir to it's default condition, I don't think it will cause security violation situation, isn't it?

Waiting for your comments!

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Lan,

We are sincerely sorry to keep you waiting, We had raised this with admin team and are awaiting a response. As you have rightly addressed this being not a normal scenario to have admin do something on a user folder is the cause for the delay. We are following up internally for a resolution. 

Arun Jose

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Lan,

To change back the permission of your user directory you should connect to your devcloud account using jupyter notebook from the browser. You can change permission of your user directory by launching a terminal in the jupyter interface. Once the permission is changed, you will also be able to login using ssh.

Arun Jose

0 Kudos
Lan
Novice

Hi Arun,

Thanks for your remind. But the Jupyter Notebook always report "Spawn Failed", no matter how many times I pressed Relaunch Server button. I am afraid it's also due to the wrong permission of home directory.

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Lan,

Looks like the jupyter spawn failed was a temporary issue. Could you please try clearing your cookies and try again. It would be advisable to try from a different browser as well. This is not due to wrong permission of home directory. I have verified the scenario from my end and was able to change back permissions with Jupyter Notebook.

Thanks

Arun

0 Kudos
Lan
Novice

Hi Arun,

Thanks for your time on this case! But it seems still not working, :(. As your guidance, I have tried JupyterHub on a different PC with different Browsers (no cookie issue, since not use it to access DevCloud before), the result is same, "Spawn failed". I attached screen capture below for your reference.

I don't know why it works on your side, maybe it relates to session cache things. Logically, if JupyterHub need to access my directory but failed, it should report failed, isn't it?

Maybe, the best choice for me is to apply for another account. The real problem is data & code still remains on server. If there still have chances, I just want to have a try.

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Lan,

We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience. But its not possible to perform the request. Please go ahead and request for a new devcloud account, in case if you have not already requested. We wont be monitoring this case further as this request cannot be undertaken.

Please feel free to raise a new thread for any further queries.

Thanks

Arun

0 Kudos
Lan
Novice

Hi Arun,

Though I lost all my data on the cloud this time, but it is due to my own mistake. Anyway, I want to say thanks for your time and help! Please close this topic now.

0 Kudos