Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1627 Discussions

OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/glob/intel-python/versions/2018u2/intelpython3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/docs'

r_0_h_1_t
Beginner

I am unable to install packages in my intel dev cloud. I tried installing packages using pip from bash shell. I also created a new conda environment and tried installing packages there. It didn't work either. I think the problem is with permissions in file system. The error says "read-only file system" as you can see.

P.S: I am trying to install keras and sklearn

please check the error log below.

Installing collected packages: keras
Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/glob/intel-python/versions/2018u2/intelpython3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip/basecommand.py", line 215, in main
    status = self.run(options, args)
  File "/glob/intel-python/versions/2018u2/intelpython3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip/commands/install.py", line 342, in run
    prefix=options.prefix_path,
  File "/glob/intel-python/versions/2018u2/intelpython3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip/req/req_set.py", line 784, in install
    **kwargs
  File "/glob/intel-python/versions/2018u2/intelpython3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip/req/req_install.py", line 851, in install
    self.move_wheel_files(self.source_dir, root=root, prefix=prefix)
  File "/glob/intel-python/versions/2018u2/intelpython3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip/req/req_install.py", line 1064, in move_wheel_files
    isolated=self.isolated,
  File "/glob/intel-python/versions/2018u2/intelpython3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip/wheel.py", line 345, in move_wheel_files
    clobber(source, lib_dir, True)
  File "/glob/intel-python/versions/2018u2/intelpython3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip/wheel.py", line 316, in clobber
    ensure_dir(destdir)
  File "/glob/intel-python/versions/2018u2/intelpython3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip/utils/__init__.py", line 83, in ensure_dir
    os.makedirs(path)
  File "/glob/intel-python/versions/2018u2/intelpython3/lib/python3.6/os.py", line 220, in makedirs
    mkdir(name, mode)
OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/glob/intel-python/versions/2018u2/intelpython3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/docs'

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ArunJ_Intel

Hey

This is because you are trying to install to the package to the python present in /glob.  This python is common to all devcloud users. You should be using --user flag to install the package specific only to your user 

eg

pip install Keras --user

Hope this helps

Regards

Arun Jose

0 Kudos
r_0_h_1_t
Beginner

Hi Jose, Arun

I am sorry that I am quite late here. I actually found out the solution which is the same like you mentioned. Thanks for the help! Cheers!

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hey Rohit,

Thanks for the confirmation. We are closing the case as your issue is resolved. Please feel free to raise a new thread in case of further issues.

Arun Jose

0 Kudos