Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1638 Discussions

Performance Monitoring Tool Alternatives

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know of any alternative tools that can be used on Devcloud for OneAPI?

The specific tools I need alternatives for are:

IOStat / Monitor IO of specific process
intel-gpu-tools / Performance metrics on GPUs
perf / General performance metrics

iftop / Network monitoring for a specific process

These require the use of sudo in order to install and as that is understandibly unfeasible for devcloud to install without affecting other users (https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-DevCloud/perf-interface/m-p/1186028 ) I need alternatives.

The performance metrics will be gathered in intervals during an applications run. I do not believe VTune to be sufficient for this use case for several reasons:

1). I have not found a setting in the documentation that allows for setting it to run in intervals

2). If I were to set a time limit for how long VTune is to run in a loop for the approximate interval length I am limited to a minimum of 1 second and Vtune also takes far too long as it write the results to file before displaying them.

If there was a way to get VTune to only display the output immediately after running similar to Perf then it may be feasible to use with a creative solution to the interval problem.

I have found psutil from pip but this does not give indepth performance metrics.

Any ideas would be fantastic and greatly appreciated, all the programs I have tried require the use of sudo to install or sudo to run.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

As for the package installation, sorry for the inconvenience, users neither have admin privileges in DevCloud nor sudo access. Intel DevCloud® is a shared environment which comes with pre-installed validated Intel® oneAPI software and complimentary packages. As a policy we do not install custom (open source or 3rd party licensed) software to the environment and recommend that you explore available and equivalent oneAPI Software tools or components. You may be able to install software locally in your user folder using < > “pip install –user” (dash dash user switch allows you to install local in your home directory).

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

To answer the next part of the question, for getting performance metrics, we don’t have solutions other than Vtune profiler which can give indepth performance metrics. We suggest you explore the top command in linux, which might suit your requirement.

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

Has the response provided helped? Please let us know whether your query is resolved.

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

We have not heard from you in a while. Has the response provided helped? If yes, can we discontinue monitoring this thread? If not, please let us know, we would be glad to help.

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

We assume that your query is resolved. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos