Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1625 Discussions

Python pip, conda package install error

W_E_Intel
Employee

Hello Devcloud Support,

the system still report the same error.

I found there are some solutions for the same problem on the following links :

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47955397/pip3-error-namespacepath-object-has-no-attribute-sort

https://github.com/googleapis/google-cloud-python/issues/2990

I don't have privilege to the system to try these solutions 

this post is follow up on the following post

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-DevCloud/python-pip-install-error/m-p/1219333#M1570

python pip install error

Dear Devcloud admin and support

when I install any user python package i got the following error, you can use the following command to reproduce the error :

python3 -m pip install [any package name] --user

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/glob/intel-python/python3/lib/python3.6/runpy.py", line 183, in _run_module_as_main
    mod_name, mod_spec, code = _get_module_details(mod_name, _Error)
  File "/glob/intel-python/python3/lib/python3.6/runpy.py", line 142, in _get_module_details
    return _get_module_details(pkg_main_name, error)
  File "/glob/intel-python/python3/lib/python3.6/runpy.py", line 109, in _get_module_details
    __import__(pkg_name)
  File "/glob/intel-python/python3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip/__init__.py", line 26, in <module>
    from pip.utils import get_installed_distributions, get_prog
  File "/glob/intel-python/python3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip/utils/__init__.py", line 27, in <module>
    from pip._vendor import pkg_resources
  File "/glob/intel-python/python3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3018, in <module>
    @_call_aside
  File "/glob/intel-python/python3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3004, in _call_aside
    f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/glob/intel-python/python3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3046, in _initialize_master_working_set
    dist.activate(replace=False)
  File "/glob/intel-python/python3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2578, in activate
    declare_namespace(pkg)
  File "/glob/intel-python/python3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2152, in declare_namespace
    _handle_ns(packageName, path_item)
  File "/glob/intel-python/python3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2092, in _handle_ns
    _rebuild_mod_path(path, packageName, module)
  File "/glob/intel-python/python3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2121, in _rebuild_mod_path
    orig_path.sort(key=position_in_sys_path)
AttributeError: '_NamespacePath' object has no attribute 'sort'

thank you,

W

thank you for your help and support.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
W_E_Intel
Employee

Thanks Gopika, and Arun for helping me fix this problem, I appreciate the time and hard work to fix this unusual issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

before run pip, run the following two lines 

source activate newenv

export PATH=/home/uXXXXX/.conda/envs/newenv/bin/:$PATH  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to add conda newenv to Jupyter notebook

python -m ipykernel install --user --name newenv --display-name "newenv"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for qsub shell file add the following to lines before the script execution

source activate newenv

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Gopika_Intel

Hi W,

Thank you for posting in Intel Devcloud forum. We found your

earlier query. We ran all the commands and the workarounds mentioned in your earlier query https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-DevCloud/python-pip-install-error/m-p/1219333#M1570 . It didn’t throw any error. These are the steps that we’d

followed and screenshots are attached below.

1.     Ran python3 -m pip install tqdm –user

2.     Created a conda environment and ran the same command

3.     Ran source /opt/intel/inteloneapi/setvars.sh and conda install -c conda-forge tqdm

We suggest you to try all the commands and workarounds mentioned in your earlier query. If you’re still facing errors while installing it must account related issues. We suggest  you to either

1.     try the commands in a different devcloud account.

2.     Or if you don’t have an alternate account, request for a new account and try the same commands in the new account.

Regards

Gopika Ajit

0 Kudos
W_E_Intel
Employee

hello Gopika Ajit

Thanks you for help, but I tried all the solutions list in your reply and the problem is the same. the problem happen when I try install any packages.

thank you,

Wessam

0 Kudos
Gopika_Intel

Hi Wessam,

As discussed, we’ve got in touch with the internal team. We’ll get back to you.

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos
W_E_Intel
Employee

Thanks Gopika I appreciate your help and time. 

0 Kudos
W_E_Intel
Employee

Thanks Gopika, and Arun for helping me fix this problem, I appreciate the time and hard work to fix this unusual issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

before run pip, run the following two lines 

source activate newenv

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to add conda newenv to Jupyter notebook

python -m ipykernel install --user --name newenv --display-name "newenv"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for qsub shell file add the following to lines before the script execution

source activate newenv

0 Kudos
Gopika_Intel

Hi Wessam,

Thank you for the confirmation. Glad to know your query has been resolved. We would no longer be monitoring this thread. For further queries and issues please raise a new thread, we’d be happy to help you.

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos