Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1691 Discussions

Simulate firmware block with ModelSim in DevCloud

ixiotidi
Beginner

Hi there,

I'm trying to simulate my kernel generated with oneAPI in the Intel DevCloud. I found that Modelsim is not in the software list and hence I was wondering what I should do. I have a local ModelSim installation in my laptop, however I don't know if it's possible to generate a VHD top layer that then I can instantiate for simulation or if there is any other option available. I found a relevant post by the instructions weren't that clear. Can you please help me further?

Thanks in advance,

--Ioannis

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ThasneemV_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel Communities.

Can you get back to us with the following information so that we can assist you better:

1) The node number in which you are trying?

2) The guide/steps that you followed?

Regarding ModelSim support, we are checking on this internally and will get back to you with updates.

Thanks,

Thasneem Vazim

0 Kudos
ixiotidi
Beginner

Hi @ThasneemV_Intel 

thanks for your reply so basically what I used to compile my kernel is the following:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/oneapi/programming-guide/2023-1/compile-a-kernel-for-simulation.html

and then regarding the devcloud node I don't remember the exact number but it's one with the Stratix10 boards connected to it (FPGA devcloud)

Hope that makes, thanks again.

--Ioannis

0 Kudos
ThasneemV_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the details. We are checking on this internally.

Regards,

Thasneem Vazim

0 Kudos
ThasneemV_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for your patience.

We have confirmed from the internal team that ModelSim will be available on Intel DevCloud for oneAPI by October 2023. 

Please let us know if we can stop monitoring this thread.

Regards,

Thasneem Vazim

0 Kudos
ixiotidi
Beginner

Hi @ThasneemV_Intel 

thanks for checking! Really good news. In the mean time is there a way where I can compile my kernel in the devcloud for simulation and then basically download it locally so I can run it through my local ModelSim installation? Something in the fashion of a top-level block that I can instantiate in my VHDL.

Thanks,

--Ioannis

0 Kudos
ThasneemV_Intel

Hi,

You can do a Quartus compile and scp the files out of Devcloud. The scp commands are shown in the screenshot attached below.

ThasneemV_Intel_0-1683887435452.png

Regards,

Thasneem Vazim

0 Kudos
ThasneemV_Intel

Hi,

We have not heard back from you. If your issue is resolved, make sure to accept this as a solution. This would help others with similar issue.

Regards,

Thasneem Vazim

0 Kudos
ThasneemV_Intel

Hi,

We assume that your issue is resolved. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Regards,

Thasneem Vazim

0 Kudos