Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1641 Discussions

Video support removed from iris_xe_max nodes?

DanDaMan
New Contributor I

Previously [1] I could run the 'vainfo' command to check the status of VA-API, but it no longer works. Also vpl-inspect only seems to show a CPU implementation. Were the video drivers removed/disabled?

Some tests I had previously done using ffmpeg and vaapi no longer seem to work. /dev/dri seems either missing altogether on some nodes or missing the /dev/dri/renderD128 renderD129 devices that used to be there.

I would like to use DevCloud for testing OneAPI VPL on the iris xe. Is this still possible?

[1] https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-DevCloud/s012-n004-Broken-OneAPI-VPL-GPU-iris-xe-max-not-working-but/m-p/1384336#M4747

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel Forum.

We tried the same from our end in few nodes but couldn't reproduce your issue. Could you share the node details?

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
DanDaMan
New Contributor I

Finally found a node in the s011 bank that seems to be working: s011-n002

but also another broken one in addition to the others previously mentioned in my other message ( s011-n00{3,6, 8} )

s011-n005:

/dev/dri/renderD128 /dev/dri/renderD129 (X) - Nope, renderD134, renderD135
vainfo (X)- failed to initialize display
vpl-inspect (X) -  no hardware found
ffmpeg (X) - device creation failed for both renderD134 and renderD135
sycl-ls (X) - command hangs

0 Kudos
DanDaMan
New Contributor I

I wrote a script (below since I can't attach .sh [1] ) that runs various commands. A log from a working node (s012-n002) is attached.  

Checking a couple other nodes with the there seem to be different issues on different nodes, all of which seem to be s011-nXXX.

s011-n003:

/dev/dri/renderD128 /dev/dri/renderD129 (X) - do not exist, but renderD140/141 do?
vainfo (X)- failed to initialize display

This node worked previously (see https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-DevCloud/s012-n004-Broken-OneAPI-VPL-GPU-iris-xe-max-working-but/m-p/1384336 )
'strace vainfo' shows openat(AT_FDCWD, "/dev/dri/renderD128", O_RDWR) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)  )

vpl-inspect (OK) - hardware found
ffmpeg (X) - device creation failed, even when trying the D140/141 devices
sycl-ls (X) - command hangs

s011-n006:

/dev/dri/renderD128 /dev/dri/renderD129 (OK) - exists
vainfo (X) - command not found
ffmpeg (X) - device creation failed even though renderD129 exists?
sycl-ls (X) - command hangs

s011-n008:

/dev/dri/renderD128 /dev/dri/renderD129 (X) - '/dev/dri': No such file or directory
vainfo (X)  -  command not found
vpl-inspect (X) -  no hardware found
ffmpeg (X) - device creation failed
sycl-ls (X) - command works, but no Xe MAX Graphics devices

s012-n002, s012-n003, s012-n005:

/dev/dri/renderD128 /dev/dri/renderD129 (OK) - exists
vainfo (OK) - works
ffmpeg (OK) - works
sycl-ls (OK) - works

[1] executing with 'ssh -X uXXXXXX@s011-n003.aidevcloud ./testvpl.sh' so that XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is established (otherwise vainfo complains)

testvpl.sh

#!/bin/bash
set -x
#setup path if executing outside login shell
if [ -z "$INTEL_LICENSE_FILE" ]
then
	# Enable Intel tools
	export INTEL_LICENSE_FILE=/usr/local/licenseserver/psxe.lic
	export PATH=$PATH:/bin
	if [ -d /opt/intel/inteloneapi ]; then source /opt/intel/inteloneapi/setvars.sh > /dev/null 2>&1; fi
fi
echo do renderD128 and renderD129 exist?
ls -l /dev/dri
echo does vainfo command work?
vainfo
echo does vpl-inspect find a hardware device?
vpl-inspect | grep HARDWARE -B4
echo does ffmpeg work?
VIDFILE=/glob/development-tools/versions/oneapi/2022.2/oneapi/vpl/2022.1.0/examples/content/cars_128x96.h265
ffmpeg -y -hwaccel vaapi -hwaccel_output_format vaapi -i $VIDFILE -vaapi_device /dev/dri/renderD129 -c:v h264_vaapi -f mp4 /dev/null
echo checking sycl-ls
sycl-ls

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for all your observations and feedbacks.

We are currently working on this. We will get back to you soon with updates.

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

The current DG1/Iris_Xe_max nodes are very unstable. We are in the process of getting an equivalent replacement. We will let you once it is done.

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

We have decided to retire the Intel® Iris® Xe Max Graphics from the Intel® DevCloud for oneAPI effective Friday 07/29/2022 EOD. This affects compute nodes s011-n[001->008] and s012-n[001->005] which today are labeled iris_xe_max. You will no longer be able to access these compute nodes after 07/29/2022.

We’re working on adding new Intel® Graphics in the future, as they become available on the market. We will make an appropriate announcement when the time comes.

We have decided to close this issue as at this moment there is no visibility when it will be implemented and available for use.If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Regards,
Janani Chandran

0 Kudos