Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1627 Discussions

devcloud-vscode remote-SSH not working

tgave
Beginner

I was following this guide on how to connect devcloud to my vscode, but I am unable to make the 10th step working.
I can do every step before ant it works (command_line.png)(able to edit and run code using nano and the command line) but I can't find how to have the repository appear using the remote-SSH (ssh-target.png)

Edit:
I don't know if it is related, but when I open a new devcloud terminal, I got the message "Could not request local forwarding." (no-local_forwarding.png)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JyothisV_Intel

Hi,

Good day to you.

Thanks for posting in Intel Communities.

We can see that you are using Remote SSH to connect to Intel DevCloud using Visual Studio Code. From your query, we can understand that the repositories or the files are not displayed in the File Explorer or the SSH Targets window while connected to Intel DevCloud. Unfortunately, the file structure cannot be displayed when connected to Intel DevCloud via Visual Studio Code.

Alternatively, if you wish to have the interactive file structure tree or the repositories displayed, we recommend signing into your Intel DevCloud account via a web browser and opening a Jupyter Lab session by visiting the below link:

https://jupyter.oneapi.devcloud.intel.com/hub/login?next=/lab/tree/Welcome.ipynb?reset

You can also open Jupyter Notebook by visiting the "Intel DevCloud - Get Started" page (https://devcloud.intel.com/oneapi/get_started/) and clicking on the "Launch Jupyter Lab" button under the section "Connect with Jupyter Lab" at the bottom of the page.

If this resolves your issue, make sure to accept this as a solution since it will help others with a similar issue.

Thanks and Regards,

Jyothis V James.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JyothisV_Intel

Hi,

Good day to you.

Thanks for posting in Intel Communities.

We can see that you are using Remote SSH to connect to Intel DevCloud using Visual Studio Code. From your query, we can understand that the repositories or the files are not displayed in the File Explorer or the SSH Targets window while connected to Intel DevCloud. Unfortunately, the file structure cannot be displayed when connected to Intel DevCloud via Visual Studio Code.

Alternatively, if you wish to have the interactive file structure tree or the repositories displayed, we recommend signing into your Intel DevCloud account via a web browser and opening a Jupyter Lab session by visiting the below link:

https://jupyter.oneapi.devcloud.intel.com/hub/login?next=/lab/tree/Welcome.ipynb?reset

You can also open Jupyter Notebook by visiting the "Intel DevCloud - Get Started" page (https://devcloud.intel.com/oneapi/get_started/) and clicking on the "Launch Jupyter Lab" button under the section "Connect with Jupyter Lab" at the bottom of the page.

If this resolves your issue, make sure to accept this as a solution since it will help others with a similar issue.

Thanks and Regards,

Jyothis V James.

0 Kudos
tgave
Beginner

HI,

Thanks for replying my post.

The reason I tried to use vscode was to not have to use Jupyter, but thank you for the alternative.
By following the tutorial, I believed it was possible to edit the file from the devcloud using vscode or did I not understood something ?

I ended up by directly installing oneAPI on my computer, and it is working wonders.

Thanks and Regards.

0 Kudos
JyothisV_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to us.

It is possible to edit the files from the Intel DevCloud using VSCode.

On investigating ways to display the file structure tree in VSCode, we have found an alternative approach that you can follow with the below steps:

You will have to open two Cygwin terminals:

In the first Cygwin terminal, execute the below command: 

ssh devcloud

(devcloud.proxy if you are using a proxy)

Once connected to devcloud, execute the below command:

qsub -I

Copy the node number that is assigned to you on executing the above command (Format: sXXX-nXXX)

(Make sure not to close the first Cygwin terminal)

In the second Cygwin terminal, execute the below command:

ssh <node_number>.aidevcloud

When asked for confirmation regarding the connection, enter "yes" to connect to the same node on the second Cygwin terminal

(Port forwarding is now done. Make sure not to close the second Cygwin terminal also)

(Refer screenshot: Cygwin_Terminals.png)

Once the above steps are performed, follow the below steps:

> Open Visual Studio Code

> Click on Remote Explorer

> Right click on "devcloud-vscode" under SSH Targets and choose "Connect to Host in Current Window" (Refer screenshot: DevCloud_VSCode_Connect.png)

> The remote SSH connection to Intel DevCloud will be started. On successful connection, click File and then click Open Folder

> You can now choose the remote DevCloud directory which you wish to load and make changes. You will be able to see the file structure tree (Refer screenshot: OpeningRemoteDirectory.png)

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Jyothis V James

JyothisV_Intel

Hi,

Good day to you.

Thanks for accepting our solution. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Regards,

Jyothis V James

0 Kudos