Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud

gdb and perf

Kennedy__Matthew
Beginner

Would it be possible to get gdb and perf installed on the devcloud?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Matthew,

For the case of gdb you can use  gdb-oneapi  which in devcloud is  pre-installed. You can use it by using the command 

gdb-oneapi

Regarding  the usage of perf  tool as devcloud would not be providing sudo permission to users it would be difficult in installing as well as using perf in devcloud. However we would check with the admin team regarding the possiblity of getting perf installed in devcloud and let you know on the updates.

Thanks

Arun Jose

0 Kudos
Kennedy__Matthew
Beginner

Thanks Arun, yes please let me know if it will be possible to use perf. I believe that with certain settings it's possible to run perf without sudo.

For reference for people trying to run rust-gdb (as I was) you can make this work smoothly with gdb-oneapi by setting "export RUST_GDB=gdb-oneapi". 

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hey Matthew,

Could you please let us know more details about the use case which you are trying to achieve by getting perf installed on devcloud. Are you by any chance trying to collect perfomance details of oneAPI application ?

Devcloud has VTune Profiler, a commercial application for  performance analysis. Would it be possible for you to use vtune for perfomance analysis instead.

0 Kudos
Kennedy__Matthew
Beginner

I'm just trying to speed up some rust code. vtune works but I'm not as familiar with it, it would be nice to have perf if possible. 

Thanks,

Matthew

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hey Matthew

Intel DevCloud® is a shared environment which comes with pre-installed validated Intel® oneAPI software and complimentary packages. As a policy we do not install custom (open source or 3rd party licensed) software to the environment and recommend that you explore available and equivalent oneAPI SW tools or components. As your requirement does not involve oneapi software development,  we are forwarding your case to the admin team to check the feasibility of the installation. They will keep you posted with further updates on this.

Arun Jose

0 Kudos
Hemanth_K_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Since the DevCloud is a globally shared environment, customizations that we do affects several users.

You can however customize your  env with "export RUST_GDB=gdb-oneapi". you can set this in your local ~/.bashrc

Best

Hemanth

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Matthew,

Hope we have answered your query.  Could you please let us know if we could close this case or is there anything else you need help with.

Thanks

Arun Jose

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Matthew,

We are closing the case assuming the solution provided helps. Please feel free to raise a new thread for further issues.

Arun Jose

0 Kudos