Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1639 Discussions

ocl-icd-opencl-dev package

Steve_D
Employee

Hi,

I’m trying to build TornadoVM (https://github.com/beehive-lab/TornadoVM) to test on Intel hardware.  I’m getting a compile error:

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.16/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:146 (message):

Could NOT find OpenCL (missing: OpenCL_LIBRARY OpenCL_INCLUDE_DIR)

The TornadoVM README says this is a known issue on Ubuntu:

In Ubuntu >= 16.04 CMake can cause the following error: Could NOT find OpenCL (missing: OpenCL_LIBRARY) (found version "2.2"). Then the following package should be installed:

$ apt-get install ocl-icd-opencl-dev

I understand I can’t use the package manager to do this myself but since the package seems to be well known I wonder if it can be verified and installed to let me, and maybe others, make use of it.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out. Please try editing the CMAKE file by adding the path to openCL headers and libraries. OpenCL headers and libraries can be found in this path: /opt/intel/oneapi/compiler/latest/linux/include/sycl/CL. See if this solves the issue.

As for the package installation, sorry for the inconvenience, users don't have admin privileges in DevCloud. Intel DevCloud® is a shared environment which comes with pre-installed validated Intel® oneAPI software and complimentary packages. As a policy we do not install custom (open source or 3rd party licensed) software to the environment and recommend that you explore available and equivalent oneAPI Software tools or components. You may be able to install software locally in your user folder using < > “pip install –user” (dash dash user switch allows you to install local in your home directory).

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

We have not heard from you in a while. Has the solution provided helped? Is your query resolved? If yes, can we discontinue monitoring this thread?

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos
Steve_D
Employee

Thank you for your help.  Unfortunately, the build in question is a little complex (script -> maven -> CMake).  I can see the headers and lib but have not yet succeeded in getting the build to see them.  I'm going to reach out to the TornadoVM developers.

Someone else at Intel suggested Docker as a possibly more stable way to can up the dependencies for a project like TornadoVM.  I don't have experience building Docker images / containers, but is it possible to run a Docker container on DevCloud instances?  

0 Kudos
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

Sorry to inform you that, it is not possible to run a Docker container on DevCloud instances as Intel devcloud provides users neither administrative privileges nor sudo access.

Regards

Gopika 

0 Kudos
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

We have not heard from you in a while. Is your query resolved? Can we discontinue monitoring this thread?

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos