Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1596 Discussions

vtune: Error: Cannot collect GPU hardware metrics due to a lack of permissions.

ogrisel
Beginner

I want to measure GPU occupancy (and other things) with VTune on the intel edge dev cloud with the flex 170 GPU.

vtune tells me my user lacks permissions:

> vtune: Error: Cannot collect GPU hardware metrics due to a lack of permissions. Use root privileges (recommended) or re-configure your current permissions to make sure you are a member of the video user group and /proc/sys/dev/i915/perf_stream_paranoid value is set to 0.

Can you add my user to the `video` group on the flex 170 nodes please ?

Thanks

User: u154853

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JesusE_Intel

Hi ogrisel,

Thank you for providing the additional information. I was not aware that this hardware is not available on Intel Developer Cloud for oneAPI. However, at this time Intel VTune is not supported on Intel Developer Cloud for the Edge.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Jesus

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JesusE_Intel

Hi ogrisel,

I'm not sure this is possible on Intel Developer Cloud for the Edge. Let me look into it and get back to you.

In the meantime, could you share more details as to how you installed VTune and the command that caused the permission error?

Are you running this on the terminal or submitting a job to an edge node?

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

Hi ogrisel,

I confirmed with the development team that this is not possible on Intel Developer Cloud for the Edge as it requires elevated permissions.

I recommend using Intel VTune with Intel® DevCloud for oneAPI .

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
ogrisel
Beginner

We cannot use the oneAPI devcloud because we want to profile our numba_dpex kernels on modern GPUs and the only available last gen GPU is a Flex 170 only available on the Edge devcloud.

The oneAPI devcloud only provide us with gen12 and older GPUs.

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

Hi ogrisel,

Thank you for providing the additional information. I was not aware that this hardware is not available on Intel Developer Cloud for oneAPI. However, at this time Intel VTune is not supported on Intel Developer Cloud for the Edge.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

0 Kudos