Intel® DevCloud
Help for those needing help starting or connecting to the Intel® DevCloud
1641 Discussions

vtune doesn't work - libnss3.so is missing

gbenor
Beginner

I have just signed to dev-cloud.

I would like to run the vtune-tutorial: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/develop/external/us/en/documents/vtune-tutorial-common-bottlenecks-linux.pdf

I run vtune-gui, and got the following error message: vtune-gui: error while loading shared libraries: libnss3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel forums.

Your issue is because in devcloud VTune can’t be used with a GUI. This is by design and not a bug.

For your information, the Intel DevCloud is a cluster with no windows subsystem – much like any other HPC cluster out there.

Instead of vtune-gui you can also use VTune APS “aps <command>” instead of the full vtune. This gives you a performance snapshot.

Another method is Vtune Webserver Interface.

The web server interface helps you quickly get started with the tool since you do not need to install VTune Profiler as a desktop application on every client system. You can use the VTune Profiler Server to configure and control analysis on arbitrary target systems and view collected results.

To run via webserver follow the below steps:

1)Start Vtune Profiler Server

<vtune-install-dir>/bin64/vtune-backend (or) vtune-backend --web-port=8080

2)After running the above command you will get a URL.If you are running it for the first time then your URL will have a one-time token like below

Serving GUI at https://127.0.0.1:64880?one-time-token=0160852eeff593e0ab0a0f90991b4efa

3)You can open the URL in browser on your local machine. In devcloud, you may need to do two-way tunneling to open the URL. 

4)For two way tunneling , open a new prompt and tunnel to login node of the Devcloud using the below command

ssh -L 8880:localhost:8880 devcloud_proxy

Then, tunnel to compute node as 

ssh -L 8880:localhost:8880 s001-n058

Where,

devcloud_proxy :- Host name

8880 :- Port in which vtune web sever is running

s001-n058:- compute node in which your vtune web server has started

5)Set a passphrase in the Set Passphrase dialog box.

For further reference you can use the below link

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/vtune-help/top/launch/web-server-...

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
GRN2
Employee
0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Is your issue resolved? Do you have any update?

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
gbenor
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, I haven't managed to connect Vtune yet.

my dev cloud login IP is: 10.9.0.2
I run the vtune server command: vtune-backend --web-port=8083 --allow-remote-access

and got the response: Serving GUI at https://10.9.0.2:8083?one-time-token=8......

I tried to do the 2ways tunneling using the following command: ssh -L 8083:localhost:8083 10.9.0.2

but I got: 

ssh: connect to host 10.9.0.2 port 22: Resource temporarily unavailable

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

Your issue is because you have not mentioned hostname in tunneling command. Try the below command.

ssh -L 8083:localhost:8083 devcloud_proxy

where devcloud_proxy is hostname. You can replace devcloud_proxy with your hostname.

Try this and let us know.

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

Is your issue resolved? Do you have any update?

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
JananiC_Intel

Hi,

We assume that your issue is resolved. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Regards,

Janani Chandran

0 Kudos
lilly1
Employee

apt install libnss3-dev libnss3 

0 Kudos