Intel® Distribution for Python*
Engage in discussions with community peers related to Python* applications and core computational packages.
424 Discussions

100% repeatable errors and warnings at first install

peters__kurt
Novice

I can get this error repeateably:

In win10:

Unzip the intel python into a directory. Rename the installed directory from Intelpython3 to intelpython.

Open powershell.

type

./setup_intel_python.bat

get warning: The system cannot find the path specified.

Continue:

type:

conda config --add channels intel

Warning: 'intel" already in "channels" list, moving to the top

type:

conda init powershell

Operation failed.

conda update conda

WARNING conda.core.prefix_data:_load_single_record(190): Ignoring malformed prefix record at: C:\Users\kurt\intelpython\conda-meta\tbb-2020.3-intel_311.json

it looks like tbb is installed:

Downloading and Extracting Packages
tbb-2020.3 | 286 KB | ############################################################################ | 100%
Preparing transaction: done
Verifying transaction: done
Executing transaction: done

do it again:

ERROR conda.core.link:_execute(700): An error occurred while uninstalling package '<unknown>/win-64::tbb4py-2020.3-py37_intel_1'.
Rolling back transaction: done

ValueError('Attempted to make prefix record for unknown package type: tbb4py-2020.3-py37_intel_1')
()

This is 100% repeatable and unacceptable.

Regards,

kurt

0 Kudos
6 Replies
peters__kurt
Novice

I probably should have mentioned that I'm using the latest .zip: w_pythoni3_p_2020.4.912.

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hey Kurt, 

The issue might be because some of the packages in the "base"  environment might have conflicts when trying to update conda. To solve the issue could you please install intel python using conda commands  in a fresh conda environment.

Please find below steps to be followed

1) Download and install anaconda by following steps in  the below link.

https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/install/windows/

2)Run the following commands to install intel-python with conda in a new conda environment.

conda update conda

conda config --add channels intel

conda create -n idp intelpython3_core python=3.7

source activate idp

Please try these out and let us know if you are still facing issues. 

Thanks

Arun

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hey Kurt,

Have you tried out the conda installation ?. Let us know if you are still facing issues.

Thanks

Arun

0 Kudos
peters__kurt
Novice

Doing a complete install isn't possible that way. I currently gave up and am just installing python 9 and not using intel acceleration.

0 Kudos
Rachel_O_Intel

Hi Kurt,

I am an engineer that has been looking into your issue. I was able to reproduce your issue, and have notified the relevant software engineers about this issue with 2020.4 version of Intel Distribution for Python.

Some suggestions for you, if you would still like to try enable the accelerations that come with Intel Distribution for Python:

1. We have a newer version of Intel Distribution for Python available, intel Python 2021.1! This comes with even more accelerations and a simpler installation set-up that is used across all oneAPI components. I tried these instructions myself and they were successful.
    1. See the full directions here: https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/installation-guide-for-intel-oneapi-toolkits.html
      1. To summarize, once you've downloaded the executable installer, in the directory of the installer, click it and follow the prompts in the GUI accordingly. You can also run this executable from the command prompt.
      2. In the installation directory, use command “.\setvars.bat” or ".\<install_dir>\intelpython\latest\env\vars.sh” in the command prompt to activate the IDP component.
      3. Use command "conda activate base" (this will activate into the IDP conda env). Then you're ready to go!
  2. You can still get all of the accelerations from Intel Python if you already have Anaconda installed. Execute the following commands in the Anaconda prompt (note that the first two commands are optional if you have already executed them). Note that the third command is installing "intelpython3_full", which includes all of the latest IDP accelerations.
    1. conda update conda
    2. conda config --add channels intel
    3. conda create -n idp -c intel intelpython3_full python=3.7
    4. source activate idp

Hope this helps! Please let us know if you are still facing issues.

Best,

Rachel

0 Kudos
Rachel_O_Intel

This thread will no longer be supported by Intel, please raise a new thread if you have any further issues. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only

0 Kudos