Intel® Distribution for Python*
Engage in discussions with community peers related to Python* applications and core computational packages.

Cython with Intel compiler and MKL

Petros
Beginner

Hi,

I've been playing around with Intel Python and I'm impressed with the performance. Could you provide a small example of using Cython code with Intel Compiler (I have Intel Parallel Studio both on Windows and Linux). Mainly I'm interested in the MKL and OpenMP features of the Intel compiler which I find constantly faster than the native and GNU alternatives.

In the past (a year ago) I tried to blend Cython from Anaconda with Intel compiler but failed. I ended up using the MS compiler in Windows and GNU in Linux.

Thanks in advance !

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Christophe_H_Intel2

Hello p3tris,

Thank you for the suggestion.  Yes, we plan on posting an example of using Cython with the Intel compiler and MKL shortly.  I will send you the link when it is ready.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I

Hi p3tris,

The following article, written by Nguyen, Loc Q, provides an example of thread parallelism in Cython: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/thread-parallelism-in-cython

0 Kudos
Anat_H_Intel
Employee

Christopher H. (Intel) wrote:

Hello p3tris,

Thank you for the suggestion.  Yes, we plan on posting an example of using Cython with the Intel compiler and MKL shortly.  I will send you the link when it is ready.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris, I came across this thread as I'm exploring options to use Cython with Intel compiler and optimization libraries such as MKL. Are ther updates on the topic?

Thanks,

Anat

0 Kudos
Rohit_J_Intel
Employee
Hi Anat,

Thanks,
Rohit
0 Kudos
Knapp__Jacob
Novice

Hello,

While the information in https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/thread-parallelism-in-cython is all well and good, and the instructions are useful on Unix/Unix-like systems, I have the question:

How do I do the same thing on windows?

Instead of the Linux

$ LDSHARED="icc -shared" CC=icc python setup.py build_ext –-inplace

I would use... what? (I normally have 

python setup.py build_ext -i

-Again, in Windows.)

The github link is also well and good, but it is also clearly meant for non-Windows (seemingly Linux in particular) systems, so it still doesn't answer how I do it with the straightforward setup.py script and setting the compiler (which I can set to explicitly use a compiler, I normally set it to msvc so it knows to use that, but other options are bcpp, cygwin, mingw32, and unix).

Again: how do I, on a WINDOWS system, compile Cython using the Intel C/C++ compiler, in the same overall manner as I do when compiling with the MSVC compiler?

Thanks!

0 Kudos