Intel® Distribution for Python*
Engage in discussions with community peers related to Python* applications and core computational packages.
424 Discussions

Segmentation fault on tab completion

JackReid
Beginner

Having installed the Intel Distribution for Python on several Linux machines, I consistently see segmentation faults when pressing the Tab key in an interactive session. In each case, the problem arises with Python 3.9 or 3.10, but not with Python 3.8.

Python 3.9.15 (main, Nov 11 2022, 13:58:57)
[GCC 11.2.0] :: Intel Corporation on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
Intel(R) Distribution for Python is brought to you by Intel Corporation.
Please check out: https://software.intel.com/en-us/python-distribution
>>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Variously, the computers have operating systems:

1. CentOS 7
  2. Alma Linux 8.6 (in the Fedora family)
  3. Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7.9
  4. Rocky Linux 8.6 (also in the Fedora family)
  5. Scientific Linux 7.9 (also in the Fedora family)
  6. CentOS 7

While I appreciate that these older operating systems are not all listed  as supported, some are newer, but still affected.

Although I note the issue here , regarding AMD processors not being supported, these machines have, respectively:

1. Intel Core i7
  2. Intel Core i7
  3. Intel Xeon E5
  4. Intel Xeon Platinum 8368Q
  5. Intel Xeon Gold 6142
  6. Intel Xeon Gold 5120

None of these problems arise with an installation on Windows, where it is working very well.

I should be grateful for any advice on how to remedy this. Could this be the same problem as in the previous post (despite the different processors and operating systems)?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Munara_T_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Could you please tell which version of Intel Distribution for Python are you using and seeing segfault? Starting from 2022.1 version, CentOS 7 and RH7 OSes are deprecated and this info is documented in Release Notes that you can find in https://www.intel.com/content/dam/develop/external/us/en/documents/2022.2_Python_Release_Notes_Intel(R)_Distribution_for_Python.pdf

Thank you

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

We could reproduce your issue. Thank you for bringing this to our notice. We will inform this to the development team and will get back to you with an update.

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
Munara_T_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Could you please tell which version of Intel Distribution for Python are you using and seeing segfault? Starting from 2022.1 version, CentOS 7 and RH7 OSes are deprecated and this info is documented in Release Notes that you can find in https://www.intel.com/content/dam/develop/external/us/en/documents/2022.2_Python_Release_Notes_Intel(R)_Distribution_for_Python.pdf

Thank you

0 Kudos
JackReid
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

While I noted that some of the operating systems are now listed as deprecated, I found the same problem with some other, newer operating systems that are not so listed.

Originally, I installed Intel Python from a Miniconda installation via the Intel channel. By default, it downloaded the most recent version, namely 2023.0. However, on forcing a downgrade to 2022.0 on the first machine (CentOS 7), which predates the deprecation, I find that the issue recurs.

0 Kudos
Munara_T_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I reproduced the issue on CentOS 7 with IDP 2022.0 version as you noted. I will escalate this issue with our IDP team.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Munara_T_Intel
Employee

Hi,

please run "conda uninstall pyeditline --offline" in IDP environment.

This should resolve the segfault issue.

Please let us know if it doesn't.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
JackReid
Beginner

Thank you for your reply. Indeed, this does appear to work, and I am now able to use tab completion in the usual way.

Thank you for all of your help and advice.

Best regards,

Jack Reid

0 Kudos
Munara_T_Intel
Employee

Hello,

If the solution works, could you please click "Accept as solution" button?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Munara_T_Intel
Employee

This issue has been resolved and we will no longer respond to this thread.  If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread.  Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only.

0 Kudos