Intel® Distribution for Python*
Engage in discussions with community peers related to Python* applications and core computational packages.

conda windows intel-mkl

Giorgos
Novice

Hi there,

Does anyone know if there is any conda package that I can install so as to have the same lib, dll and include files as in the standard intel windows installation?

At the moment the only way to do it is to install the following packages from intel's conda channel:

conda install --yes --quiet -c intel mkl=2019.5

conda install --yes --quiet -c intel mkl-include=2019.5

conda install --yes --quiet -c intel mkl-static=2019.5

conda install --yes --quiet -c intel mkl-openmp=2019.5

However, I miss openmp static (lib) files (e.g. libiomp5md.lib). Does anyone know which package should I install to my env so as to get these files? I also tried the Intel python dev package; however, I still miss these static files. Just for your information, my project is C++ and not python so I want to use conda just as package manager.

Is there any chance that Intel packages the SW development tools in one conda package? This would be very useful for CI/CD azure pipelines, as well.

Many thanks in advance.

8 Replies
Jing_Xu
Employee

Hi,

May I clarify that you would like to know about installation of mkl via conda, rather than PyTorch itself?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Giorgos
Novice

Dear Jing,

Many thanks for looking into this.

Yes, I would like to install mkl and intel openmp dynamic and static libraries via conda. My project has nothing to do with pyTorch. I have a C++ project that I link against mkl and libiomp5md.lib. I am using conda as package manager to test, build and deploy my app via Azure pipelines.

The only component that I miss, is the "libiomp5md.lib" file. When I install intel-openmp package I can only get the dll and not the lib file. Do you know if there is any package that I install on my conda env so as to get this file?

Moreover, is there any conda or pypi package that Intel distributes so as to get all these files at once (e.g. dynamic and static mkl libs, include files, redists, etc.)? I checked the devel package, but still I miss libiomp5md.lib.

Many thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Jing_Xu
Employee

Dear Giorgos,

Well noted.

I'll check internally and get back to you.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Jing_Xu
Employee

Hi Giorgos,

Our dev team is checking whether to provide the static files to python package and how.

Currently, you may only get those from Intel System Studio/Intel Parallel Studio products.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Giorgos
Novice

Hi Jing,

Many thanks for the update. I look forward to receiving further news on how/if I can be provided with the openmp static files from a conda package.

BW

0 Kudos
Louie_T_Intel
0 Kudos
Ying_H_Intel
Employee

Dear Giorgos,

Sorry for so long time delay. We already discussed the issue internally.  As the release rule, the standalone openMP package only has redistribute files (*.dll and *.so) in it, we cannot add a static library like .lib to the Redistribute openmp package.  So as jing suggested, you may get those static library from install package like Intel Parallel studio XE.

for example, download the install package from the link:

click :choose and download"

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/tools/parallel-studio-xe.html

After installation, you will got the static library.

Best Regards,

Ying H.

0 Kudos
BrenoA
New Contributor I

Dear Ying,

Is it possible to at least provide the import library (not the static library) libiomp5md.lib? In Windows and MSVC, in order to perform implicit dynamic linking, we need the import library.

Although the ending of import libraries (.lib) is the same as static libraries, it cannot be used for static linking. It can only be used for dynamic linking with the shared library .dll.

I've opened a new issue regarding this.

Best regards,

Breno

0 Kudos