Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

CPU consumption with Raspberry Pi

Siméon
New Contributor I

Hello,  
I'm currently using the human_pose_demo algorithm on my RPi 4, with the Intel Neural Stick 2, to detect person. Even with the stick, the program is consuming 80% (85% if I display the video) resources of the CPU. Is it normal?

Thanks in advance,
Siméon.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Maksim_S_Intel
Employee

It could be video decoding and frame preprocessing. Are you using video file or camera for input?

0 Kudos
Siméon
New Contributor I

I'm using camera (from the Pi interface, not USB).

0 Kudos
Rizal_Intel

Hi Siméon,

I am using a Pi 4 ( 4GB RAM and running Pi OS) with OpenVINO distribution 2021.1 and Logitech C925e USB camera. My CPU usage is approximate 48%.

Can you try running on a video file and compare to see if the Pi Camera is the cause of high CPU usage.

Regards,

Rizal

0 Kudos
Siméon
New Contributor I

Sorry for the late reply.

I tried with a video (and also an USB camera), and I got the same result. 

I got that CPU usage from htop, but if I do Ctrl+C on the video display, a CPU usage graph appears telling me 40 % (about same as you). So from where do you get your percentage?

I tried with a freshly install Raspberry Pi and OpenVino, to see if there was no interference.

Siméon.

0 Kudos
Rizal_Intel

Hi Siméon,

I used top to get the CPU usage information.

When you said you get the same result, do you mean 80+% or the 40+% result?

Another check on the usage and it does almost add up to ~80% as I had chromium and some other application open on the Pi.

However, the demo itself should only consume around 40+ % CPU.

Regards,

Rizal

0 Kudos
Rizal_Intel

Hi Siméon,

Thank you for your question.  If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question as Intel is no longer monitoring this thread.

Regards,

Rizal

0 Kudos