Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

Can't seem to find object_detection_demo.exe

Sujal_Y_Intel
Employee

I am following this tutorial. The XML and BIN files are generated successfully but I don't know where to find the object_detection_demo file which is required for further steps. I tried making it using the cpp file available at /opt/intel/openvino_2019.1.144/deployment_tools/inference_engine/samples/object_detection_demo but it gives an error ("fatal error: format_reader_ptr.h: No such file or directory compilation terminated").
Can someone please help?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dear Yadav, Sujal,

First of all I'm happy to tell you that we just released OpenVino 2019R2 today ! So please download it and try it.  I agree, the object_detection_demo is missing from the latest R2 release.

Please go into inference_engine\demos and you will see a bunch of new demos: Now, object_detection samples are one of :

object_detection_demo_faster_rcnn
object_detection_demo_ssd_async
object_detection_demo_yolov3_async

And under inference_engine\samples you will find:

object_detection_sample_ssd

The previous object_detection_demo  you are referring to no-longer exists because outside of ssd and yolo, there are so many different object detection variations. It is hoped that object_detection_demo_faster_rcnn will give you an idea of how to perform inference on a Tensorflow Object Detection API model such as faster_rcnn.

Thanks,

Shubha

0 Kudos
Sujal_Y_Intel
Employee

Thanks Shubha R. for your reply.

As you said, I installed the OpenVINOR2. Still after running cmake and make commands, I can't find the executable for object_detection_demo_ssd.

I am looking in $home/inference_engine_build_samples/intel64/Release. The only executable there after make command is classification_sample_async.

Can you help me out please?
Thanks.

0 Kudos
Kenneth_C_Intel
Employee

Inside this directory openvino_2019.2.242/deployment_tools/inference_engine/samples there is a build.sh file. 

If you run that it should build and install all samples into ~/inference_engine_samples_build/intel64/Release 

I just ran this and can confirm that object_detection_sample_ssd is located there. 

0 Kudos
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dear everyone,

As I mentioned before object_detection_demo no longer exists. It was meant originally to answer to all the different Object Detection Models that aren't SSD or Yolo V3 and unfortunately, this approach didn't work well. So basically object_detection_demo became object_detection_demo_faster_rcnn.

To get all the samples and demos please do the following <Windows 10 version but Linux should be similar>

1) run  setupvars.bat under C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\openvino_2019.2.242\bin

2) run build_demos_msvc.bat under C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\openvino_2019.2.242\deployment_tools\inference_engine\demos

3) run build_samples_msvc.bat under  C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\openvino_2019.2.242\deployment_tools\inference_engine\samples

Hope it helps-

Thanks !

Shubha

0 Kudos
Sujal_Y_Intel
Employee

Thanks Kenneth Craft and Shubha R. for replying.

While running build_samples.sh, I faced an error: 
Setting environment variables for building samples...
./build_samples.sh: line 47: /opt/intel/openvino_2019.1.144/bin/setupvars.sh: No such file or directory                                                                                       
Error on or near line 47; exiting with status 1                                                
hwacceleration@iotg:/opt/intel/openvino_2019.2.242/deployment_tools/inference_engine/samples$ cd 5..
-bash: cd: 5..: No such file or directory

Look at the bold characters. That means it's still looking for the previous R1 openvino folder. So instead of finding all the files to correct the location of openvino, I made a symbolic link in /opt/intel directory named "openvino_2019.1.144" which points to "openvino_2019.2.242". I am able to build all the samples now and I hope any future problems due to the incorrect openvino location in any .sh file will not occur now.
I was just wondering why this problem occured in the first place. All the .sh files must be updated when I installed the R2 of openvino.

0 Kudos
HemanthKum_G_Intel

Hi Sujal,

Line number 47 in build_samples.sh is:

source "$INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR/bin/setupvars.sh"

That means the path is not hardcoded in the setupvars.sh script. It is picking the path from $INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR

There are three reasons for it to point to old version of OpenVINO:

1. Uninstallation of previous version is improper.

2. $INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR path is in any bashrc or bash_profile kind of files.

3. Previously created symbolic links aren't overwritten due to permission issues.

I have installed OpenVINO 2019 R2 in several systems several times and didn't found this issue.

0 Kudos
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dear everyone, 

if you are talking about OpenVino 2019R2 object_detection_demo.exe is no longer there. It's been renamed to  object_detection_demo_faster_rcnn.

Hope it helps,

Shubha

0 Kudos