Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

Cooling the Movidius

idata
Employee

Hello,

I wanted to see if anyone has any experience _cooling_ the Movidius. I ran the video_objects ncappzoo project with two devices plugged in. One was running the network and the other was just sitting there. After running all day and partway into the night, the GetResult function call timed out. I'm not sure if it shut down due to a thermal event, however when I touched the Movidius it was pretty warm.

Now for the question, if the Movidius were to be used 24/7 in an outdoor environment or a garage where it could get pretty hot, would it be wise to attach a fan to actively cool the device?

mj

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

@jaskiewiczm I think having fans with the NCS devices could useful depending on the environment. How were you thinking of implementing the fan solution?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@Tome_at_Intel I actually have no idea. I was thinking of slowing down the inference rate since I was running at 5-6 times per second. Off hand, do you know the temperature at which throttling is kicked off? I can keep an eye on that and maybe throttle/speed up dynamically.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@jaskiewiczm What version of the NCSDK are you using? Slowing down the inference rate could work. When the device thermal throttles, the device puts a sleep between each inference. So the number of inferences should get slower, but I don't think if it will crash your app.

Here are some USB fans that I used for another project that could work as a possible solution.

pc8HA1R.jpg

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@Tome_at_Intel the crash was due to a timeout exception. Thanks for the USB fan screenshot!

0 Kudos