Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6392 Discussions

E: [ncAPI] [ 4990] ncDeviceOpen:800 Failed connection to device (1.1-ma2480) with error 5

Pierre__Jerry
Beginner

Greetings support,

I am runing into this error "E: [ncAPI] [      4990] ncDeviceOpen:800    Failed connection to device (1.1-ma2480) with error 5" When I run this "./demo_squeezenet_download_convert_run.sh -d MYRIAD". As expected it run fine when using the CPU "./demo_squeezenet_download_convert_run.sh".

I am using the Intel NCS2 on an Ubuntu 16.04 virtual box 6.0.8, and the host machine is a MAC 10.13.6. I have already tried the suggestions in this topic (https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/computer-vision/topic/805215) and they did not work. Here are my rules settings: 

VirtualBox:~$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/97-myriad-usbboot.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="2150", ATTRS{idVendor}=="03e7", GROUP="users", MODE="0666", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="f63b", ATTRS{idVendor}=="03e7", GROUP="users", MODE="0666", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idProduct}=="2485", ATTRS{idVendor}=="03e7", GROUP="users", MODE="0666", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"

Any help will greatly be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JesusE_Intel

Hi Jerry,

It's possible the Virtual Machine is not picking up the loopback device. Could you check your USB filters and that USB 3.0 is enabled on the virtual machine settings?

You should have a filter with the following, everything else can stay blank:

Name: Movidius Myriad X
Vendor ID: 03e7

Also, which version of the OpenVINO toolkit are you using? After I executed the following commands from the getting started guide, I had to log out and back in for the demo's to run.

source ~/intel/openvino/bin/setupvars.sh
cd ~/intel/openvino/install_dependencies
./install_NCS_udev_rules.sh 

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
Pierre__Jerry
Beginner

Hi Jesus,

Yes, I believe the VM is properly setup please see attached image. The OpenVino toolkit version is "openvino_toolkit_p_2019.1.144"

$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 013: ID 03e7:2485  
Bus 001 Device 012: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

when you run the example like "./demo_squeezenet_download_convert_run.sh -d MYRIAD" it seems to disconnects. I have to reconnect it using Devices>USB on the VM.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

Hi Jerry,

Try removing everything from your filter except the name and vendor id. I believe the VM is not picking up the loopback device after the device resets. The NCS will reset after the model is loaded and should reconnect automatically to the system. It will have the same vendor ID but I believe the product id changes. 

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
Pierre__Jerry
Beginner

Hi Jesus,

Sorry for the delayed response, that worked. Can you please explain why that was the issue?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

Hi Jerry,

When the Neural Compute Stick reboots after the model is loaded, it will have a different Product ID. By leaving the Product ID blank, the filter will look for any device with the vendor ID. 

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
Pierre__Jerry
Beginner

Thank you for your response Jesus, everything is now working as expected.

cheers :)

0 Kudos
chen__zhima
Beginner

Jesus E. (Intel) wrote:

Hi Jerry,

Try removing everything from your filter except the name and vendor id. I believe the VM is not picking up the loopback device after the device resets. The NCS will reset after the model is loaded and should reconnect automatically to the system. It will have the same vendor ID but I believe the product id changes. 

Regards,

Jesus

Hi Jesus

I am the fresh men who study the NCS, I had the same problem. I have no idea about "try removing everything from your filter except the name and vendor id". could you please teach me how to operate it in detail? Thank you very much.

0 Kudos