Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

Poor performance when running several models on HDDL device

Morabito__Roberto

Hi OpenVINO folks!

I have a system (UP Squared AI Edge) featuring a built-in Intel® Movidius™ Myriad™ X. 

I started playing with some of the demos in python. Once tried the "face recognition demo", I realized that when assigning the execution of all the models to the HDDL device, the performance are extremely poor -- basically the system is not able to process almost anything.

Is there any limitation on how many models HDDL can support? 

Thank you so much in advance.

Best Regards,
Roberto

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Sahira_Intel

Hi Roberto,

About how many models did you run until you saw a drop in performance? 

Best Regards,
Sahira 

0 Kudos
Morabito__Roberto

Hi Sahira,

Already with two models. The system get stuck basically. Is it possible that my VPU can't process more than a single model?

Thanks

Roberto

0 Kudos
Sahira_Intel

Hi Roberto,

You should be able to run several models and still achieve good throughput on the VPU. When you're running the models, are you using multiple requests? 

Best Regards,

Sahira 

0 Kudos
Morabito__Roberto

Hi Sahira,

Yes, I'm using multiple requests but it doesn't work. I mean, even using the "face recognition demo" released by Intel it does not work. Simply get stuck.
Apparently I'm not the only one facing this problem:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-distribution-of-openvino-toolkit/topic/842778#comment-1959932

Roberto

0 Kudos