Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

Running OpenVINO demo

Gouveia__César
New Contributor I

Hi,

I tried to make an OpenVINO sample based on the provided demo for the license plate detection and recognition (openvino_2019.3.379/deployment_tools/demo) to run on a machine without OpenVINO. I have made a folder with the security_barrier_camera_demo.exe executable and all the required dlls, as well as the model and input image. However after I tried to run it, it gives no errors and simply crashes, nothing is detected/classified and no error message is displayed:

C:\Users\cesar.gouveia\Desktop\openvino_demo>security_barrier_camera_demo.exe -i car_1.bmp car.png -m vehicle-license-plate-detection-barrier-0106.xml
[ INFO ] InferenceEngine:
        API version ............ 2.0
        Build .................. 27579
        Description ....... API
[ INFO ] Files were added: 1
[ INFO ]     car_1.bmp
[ INFO ] Files were added: 2
[ INFO ]     car_1.bmp
[ INFO ]     car.png
[ INFO ] Loading device CPU

what will be the cause of the problem? Maybe some environment path issues?

Thanks,

César.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Luis_at_Intel

Thanks for the image. I think I may have figured out what you need to do, but I am not confident that the demo would work just by copying over a set of files to a different machine (I did not test this, my test was in the same machine where OpenVINO was installed setting the vars manually to the folder/files copied) . Either way, what I did was to run the "set" command on a Command Prompt to see all the environment variables that are already set, capture the output of the command and compare to the "set" command executed after the setupvars.bat is executed. This would give you a pretty good idea as to what files/folders are needed for the demo to run, and what variables to set and the values to set them to.

The variables that I noticed are set/modified by the setupvars.bat are listed below. You can try to copy the files/folders used to set these vars over to your demo folder, and/or check if they are present on the machine you are transferring over your demo and set them that way. I didn't modify the setupvars.bat script to set the variables for me, but I assume you could modify the script to fit your needs and changes. 

• ARCH_ROOT_DIR
  • HDDL_INSTALL_DIR
  • InferenceEngine_DIR
  • INTEL_CVSDK_DIR
  • INTEL_DEV_REDIST
  • INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR
  • OpenCV_DIR
  • OPENVX_FOLDER
  • Path
  • PYTHONPATH
  • ROOT
  • SCRIPT_NAME

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Luis

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Luis_at_Intel

Hi Cesar,

Thanks for reaching out. May I ask which files you copied inside the demo folder and the reason why you are trying this approach? It could be many different factors, and I suspect it has to do with environment paths and package dependencies among other possible unknowns. If you could explain with a bit more details what/how are you doing this it would help picture what may be going wrong. Also this approach is something I wouldn't advice doing but we will do our best to help.

Another thought I have is that Docker could be used as an alternative here, not sure if you have explored that as an option.

Regards,

Luis

0 Kudos
Gouveia__César
New Contributor I

Hi Luis,

Thanks for the response!

May I ask which files you copied inside the demo folder

Off course, attached is an image that shows all dlls and files located on my demo folder.

the reason why you are trying this approach?

I'm trying to accomplished this because I want to compile OpenVINO solution in my machine (decent CPU) and deploy it to older machines (potato CPUs) to test things like AVX support, etc...

It could be many different factors, and I suspect it has to do with environment paths and package dependencies among other possible unknowns.

It's possible to create a setupvars.bat to my demo? in order to set up all the paths necessary, if so, can you help me with that?

Another thought I have is that Docker could be used as an alternative here, not sure if you have explored that as an option.

I haven't yet explored this option, but I can search for it a little bit!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Thanks,

César.

0 Kudos
Gouveia__César
New Contributor I

Hi Luis,

Can you please take a look at my previous response?

Thanks,

César.

0 Kudos
Luis_at_Intel

Thanks for the image. I think I may have figured out what you need to do, but I am not confident that the demo would work just by copying over a set of files to a different machine (I did not test this, my test was in the same machine where OpenVINO was installed setting the vars manually to the folder/files copied) . Either way, what I did was to run the "set" command on a Command Prompt to see all the environment variables that are already set, capture the output of the command and compare to the "set" command executed after the setupvars.bat is executed. This would give you a pretty good idea as to what files/folders are needed for the demo to run, and what variables to set and the values to set them to.

The variables that I noticed are set/modified by the setupvars.bat are listed below. You can try to copy the files/folders used to set these vars over to your demo folder, and/or check if they are present on the machine you are transferring over your demo and set them that way. I didn't modify the setupvars.bat script to set the variables for me, but I assume you could modify the script to fit your needs and changes. 

• ARCH_ROOT_DIR
  • HDDL_INSTALL_DIR
  • InferenceEngine_DIR
  • INTEL_CVSDK_DIR
  • INTEL_DEV_REDIST
  • INTEL_OPENVINO_DIR
  • OpenCV_DIR
  • OPENVX_FOLDER
  • Path
  • PYTHONPATH
  • ROOT
  • SCRIPT_NAME

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Luis

0 Kudos