Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6403 Discussions

Unable to query NCS2 Myriad on macOS Big Sur

dz902
Beginner

Hi,

I have the following situation:

- python 3.9

- installed OpenVino 2022, both via installer and pip

- brew install libusb

- ran setupvars.sh

- can inference using yolov5 detect.py with openvino xml models using CPU, I could see OpenVino output

- can see `Myriad` listed with `system_profiler SPUSBDataType` (listed as an USB 3.0 device, I am using an USB-C adapter), also it could be seen via About This Mac > System Report

However, when I run `hello_query_devices.py`, I can only see my CPU, no Myriad. I tried restarting the OS to no avail.

What could go wrong? Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
IntelSupport

Hi dz902,

Thanks for reaching out.

I would suggest you try to plug in NCS2 to different USB ports (USB 3.0 and 2.0). Also, if you have a chance, try to connect NCS 2 using USB Hub 3.0 and 2.0. Then, please try rerunning Hello Query Device Sample and share the results with us.

Regards,

Aznie

0 Kudos
dz902
Beginner

Hi,

It took me quite a way to figure this out.

I seems that "pip install openvino" will NOT install the Myriad driver and the USB configuration. Trying the actual demos will show driver not found error. This is strange as I have also installed OpenVINO with mac installer, and it contains necessary driver and USB configurations, but it was not used or detected even if I had run "setupvars".

After copying lib*.so drivers and USB configurations to my Python venv it now works. This puzzles me as I do expect pip install openvino to install Myriad drivers, because I did not find way to pip install the drivers.

Also the installer somehow did not work as the /opt/intel files were undetected by my Python client.

I suggest adding the drivers to pip installation (only 2 files). Or update the documentations.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hi dz902,

You are right that 'pip install openvino' does not install the Myriad drivers and you will need to configure the Neural Compute Stick 2 (NCS 2) to perform inference on NCS2 which is exactly what you have done.

However, I'm glad you were able to solve the issue. Thank you for sharing your workaround here and for your suggestion. We appreciate that.

Regards,

Aznie

0 Kudos
dz902
Beginner

Sorry for nitpicking, but the link only states installing libusb for macOS, which is not enough. You need the mac installer, as well as copying the drivers.

I suggest updating the docs.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hi dz902,

OpenVINO™ Runtime package install from PyPI only includes a set of libraries for Intel® CPU and Intel® GPU hardware. These two files (libov_intel_myriad_plugin.so file and usb-ma2x8x.mvcmd) are not available in the directory: <path-to-venv>/site-packages/openvino/libs

Copy those two files to the directory above, then the NCS2 will be detected in hello_query_device.py.

Thank you again for sharing your workaround. I've validated the workaround as above and we will channel this feature request to the engineering team for further action.

Regards,

Aznie

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hi dz902,

This thread will no longer be monitored since we have provided information. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question.

Regards,

Aznie

0 Kudos