Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

Unable to run OpenVINO on VM on OSX

nikogamulin
Beginner

Hi all,

So far I have been developing solutions, based on OpenVINO on my desktop computer with Core i7 processor and everything has worked well. Right now, I have set up a virtual machine on my MacBook Pro and tried to run an app that runs as expected on Desktop and Raspberry Pi. When I try to run this script on MacBook Pro, however, I get the following error:

E: [ncAPI] [    589056] ncDeviceOpen:799    Failed connection to device (1.2-ma2480) with error 5

I successfully ran demo_security_barrier_camera.sh example script so I am not sure if the problem is related to processor or there is a problem with libraries. On my desktop machine, I have installed OpenVINO v 2018 r5 and on VM on MacBook Pro v 2019 r1.

I would appreciate any help.

Best regards,

Niko

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dear Gamulin, Niko, 

You do realize however that OpenVino 2019 R1 now runs directly on Mac OSX don't you ? No need for a VM. Did you try running it native and without a VM ?

Thanks !

Shubha

0 Kudos
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dear Gamulin, Niko, 

But NCS/NCS2 does not run natively on Mac OSX. Sorry about that. Have you resolved your issue ?

Thanks,

Shubha

0 Kudos
nikogamulin
Beginner

Hello Shubha,

Unfortunately I haven't managed to run NCS2 on OSX neither without nor with virtual machine. Should it be possible to run NCS2 from virtual machine on OSX? On my desktop machine I am developing OpenVINO-based solutions without any problems and upon testing them, they are deployed to edge devices. It would be nice to show my potential customers live on my notebook, how detections work and also it would further simplify the development process as I could observe directly how models work.

I really appreciate your kindness and support.

Niko

0 Kudos
Shubha_R_Intel
Employee

Dear Niko, 

NCS2 does not run on OSX at all, VM or otherwise. What may (should) work however is an Ubuntu VM on your Mac OSX. Try that and it (hopefully) should work.

Thanks for using OpenVino !

Shubha

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

Hi Niko,

Could you share additional details about your environment? 

• What software are you using to run the virtual machine (e.g. Virtualbox)?
  • What OS is the guest machine running? (e.g. Ubuntu 16.04)?
  • Check if your guest machine can see the device (use lsusb with Ubuntu)

You may need to setup the USB filters to connect the NCS2 device (VSP loopback device to the guest machine as well) to the guest machine automatically. Check the Enable USB Controller and USB 3.0 (xHCI) Controller are selected. The USB filters should be setup with Vendor ID: 03e7 and 040e.

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
nikogamulin
Beginner

Hi Jesus,

To run virtual machine, I use VirtualBox. The OS on VM is Ubuntu 16.04, and NCS2 device is visible. lsusb command returns the following:

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 03e7:2485  
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Basically, I have set up VM exactly the same way I did on my desktop computer where everything works fine.

This is the output if I try to run ./demo_security_barrier_camera.sh -d MYRIAD:

E: [ncAPI] [    576657] ncDeviceOpen:799    Failed connection to device (1.2-ma2480) with error 5
./demo_security_barrier_camera.sh: line 228:  3699 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ./security_barrier_camera_demo -d $target -d_va $target -d_lpr $target -i $target_image_path -m "${vehicle_license_plate_detection_model_path}.xml" -m_va "${vehicle_attributes_recognition_model_path}.xml" -m_lpr "${license_plate_recognition_model_path}.xml" ${sampleoptions}
Error on or near line 228; exiting with status 1

Regards,

Niko

0 Kudos
Mollà_Roselló__Marc

Hello Niko

I had the exactly the same error and it was an issue related to the udev: The rules included in the Openvino deployment allows users in group "users" to access to the stick. By default, ubuntu users are not in this group. 

To solve the error, just check that your user is in the users group (or change the rules for allowing ubuntu group)

BR

Marc

Gamulin, Niko wrote:

Hi Jesus,

To run virtual machine, I use VirtualBox. The OS on VM is Ubuntu 16.04, and NCS2 device is visible. lsusb command returns the following:

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 03e7:2485  
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Basically, I have set up VM exactly the same way I did on my desktop computer where everything works fine.

This is the output if I try to run ./demo_security_barrier_camera.sh -d MYRIAD:

E: [ncAPI] [    576657] ncDeviceOpen:799    Failed connection to device (1.2-ma2480) with error 5
./demo_security_barrier_camera.sh: line 228:  3699 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ./security_barrier_camera_demo -d $target -d_va $target -d_lpr $target -i $target_image_path -m "${vehicle_license_plate_detection_model_path}.xml" -m_va "${vehicle_attributes_recognition_model_path}.xml" -m_lpr "${license_plate_recognition_model_path}.xml" ${sampleoptions}
Error on or near line 228; exiting with status 1

Regards,

Niko

0 Kudos