Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6404 Discussions

Use of OPENVINO's DLL in a project compiling with MinGW

Ayaan_T
Beginner

Hi folks,

I post this subject even if I found another one that submitted a problem that looked like mine, but I think that I need more explanations.

I am currently developping an application which uses the Openvino's DLL (such as InferenceEngine, Opencv) but I understood that mangles aren't the same when you compile with MSVC and MinGW, so right now if I try to use the libraries from OPENVINO in my CMAKE project, I just have "undefined reference" errors each time I use elements from Openvino.

So my question is the following : Is there a valid and supported way to install OPENVINO with another compiler than the MSVC one, or just without Visual Studio 2019, or is there a way to use the library in a project compiled with MinGW that I don't know ?

Regards,

Ayaan

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Zulkifli_Intel

Hello Ayaan,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Microsoft Visual Studio is required when to use the OpenVINO Toolkit as stated in the OpenVINO installation guide. We advise you to try the OpenVINO™ Deployment Manager as it goes through without Microsoft Visual Studio.

There is a discussion regarding the use of OpenVINOs DLLS with MinGW on this thread for your reference.

Regards,

Zulkifli

0 Kudos
Ayaan_T
Beginner

Hello Zulkifli,

Thank you for your answer, but even if I use OpenVINO Deployment Manager, the DLLs built with this tool will still be compiled with MSVC so it doesn't solve my mangle problem between MingW and MSVC or am I in the wrong ?

Furthermore, the thread you provided me seems to be my own question..

Regards,

Ayaan

0 Kudos
Zulkifli_Intel

Hello Ayaan,

My apologies for the previous response. OpenVINO for Windows is compiled against MSBuild. Generally, OpenVINO requires all the pre-requisite to be available in order for it to work:

1.   Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit core components

2.   Microsoft Visual Studio* with C++ 2019 or 2017 with MSBuild

3.   CMake 3.10 or higher 64-bit

4.   Python 3.6 - 3.8 64-bit

without these, the OpenVINO won't be able to work properly. So, if your project is compiled using MinGW, OpenVINO pre-build libraries will likely fail during linking. 

Regards,

Zulkifli

0 Kudos
Ayaan_T
Beginner

Hello Zulkifli,

Thank you for your response. As I have to use another compiler in my project (Clang or MingW), which are the solutions I can consider to use openvino's libraries inside my solution ?

I have considered to program a C Interface to resolve the mangling issue between the two compilers, but maybe you know other solutions to resolve this compatibility problem or using MSVC is the only "pure C++" option that I have ?

Regards,

Ayaan

0 Kudos
Zulkifli_Intel

Hello Ayaan,

As mentioned in the earlier response, OpenVINO is compiled using MSBuild. If you wanted to explore other compilers, here are the other references for exploration: https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Distribution-of-OpenVINO/Linking-OpenVINO-DLLs-to-a-program-compiled-with-MinGW/m-p/1229440. We hope this will help.

Regards,

Zulkifli

0 Kudos
Zulkifli_Intel

Hello Ayaan,

Thank you for your question. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question as this thread is no longer being monitored.

Regards,

Zulkifli

0 Kudos