Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6392 Discussions

compute stick doesen't work when connected to usb 3.0 port

MVajd
Beginner

I'v installed the openvvino toolkit on ubuntu 18.04

when I try to run an example while the movidius compute stick is connected via a usb 3.0 port I get the following errors:

E: [xLink] [  326405] [EventRead00Thr] eventReader:218 eventReader thread stopped (err -4)

E: [global] [  326405] [Scheduler00Thr] dispatcherEventSend:1004 Write failed (header) (err -4) | event XLINK_WRITE_REQ

E: [xLink] [  326409] [Scheduler00Thr] eventSchedulerRun:626 Event sending failed

E: [xLink] [  326409] [Scheduler00Thr] eventSchedulerRun:576 Dispatcher received NULL event!

E: [global] [  326409] [security_barrie] XLinkReadDataWithTimeOut:1494 Event data is invalid

E: [ncAPI] [  326410] [security_barrie] ncGraphAllocate:1941 Can't read input tensor descriptors of the graph, rc: X_LINK_ERROR

E: [ncAPI] [  336415] [security_barrie] ncDeviceClose:1737 Device didn't appear after reboot

[ ERROR ] Failed to allocate graph: NC_ERROR

it works via usb 2.0

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Luis_at_Intel

Hi @MVajd,

Thanks for reaching out. Not sure what the problem could be with the USB3.0 port but I can recommend to use a powered USB hub and see if the problem goes away. Also, are you using it in Virtual Machine? If so there may be some additional steps required to get the NCS to work, please take a look at this article.

You could also take a look at the getting started guide for the NCS here in case you haven't done so. If the issue persists please let me know which OpenVINO version are you using, are you using NCS or NCS2, is it a Virtual Machine, steps you followed to reproduce the issue, etc..

Hope you find this helpful.

Regards,

@Luis_at_Intel​ 

0 Kudos
MVajd
Beginner

HI, I'm not using a virtual machine, I have an NCS, I am not using any external hubs.( The stick worked in that usb3.0 port before with the ncsdk.)

I followed the steps of the getting started guide to install the openvino toolkit in the first place, but non of the tests worked, they all produce the same error.

I'v tried the other method in the general openvino guide to set usb rules as well but it still didnt worked on the usb 3.0 port.

I am using version 2019.3.334.

I'v tested it with a powered usb 3.0 hub and it still doesn't work on my 3.0 port.

0 Kudos
Luis_at_Intel

That is interesting. We have tested this and the NCS works just fine on a USB 3.0 port, please do this in a terminal window if you haven't already done so (you may need to reboot your machine for this to take effect):

sudo usermod -a -G users "$(whoami)"

# Log out and log in for it to take effect.

sudo cp /opt/intel/openvino/inference_engine/external/97-myriad-usbboot.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/

sudo udevadm control --reload-rules

sudo udevadm trigger

sudo ldconfig

# reboot and try example

Let me know if your issue isn't resolved.

Regards,

@Luis_at_Intel​ 

0 Kudos
MVajd
Beginner

it did not work it still doesen't work on the usb 3.0 port. still the same error, usb 2.0 ports are still working.

0 Kudos
Luis_at_Intel

What is the output of lsusb when the device is plugged in a USB3.0 port? Do you have the NCSDK installed or was it removed from your system? If its possible, could you to test the NCS device on a different computer? OpenVINO works on Windows and Mac as well.

Regards,

Luis

0 Kudos
MVajd
Beginner

lsusb #not connected

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 5986:0671 Acer, Inc 

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

lsusb #2.0

Bus 001 Device 008: ID 03e7:2150  

lsusb #3.0

Bus 001 Device 009: ID 03e7:2150  

I tested it on a raspberry pi 4 and it works both on usb 3.0 and 2.0.

the ncsdk is not installed anymore, it was installed in ubuntu 16.04, I installed ubuntu 18.04(deleting all 16.04 files) and then installed openvino later.

0 Kudos
Luis_at_Intel

Hi @MVajd​ 

Thanks for the information, this confirms that the NCS is working and that the problem lies in the Ubuntu 18.04 system environment. Couple of things I can suggest:

• Check your /etc/udev/rules.d/ and look for a 97-myriad-usbboot.rules file, if not there run:
    • source /opt/intel/openvino/bin/setupvars.sh
    • cd /opt/intel/openvino/install_dependencies
    • ./install_NCS_udev_rules.sh
  • If you have a 97-usbboot.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d, remove it
    • sudo rm /etc/udev/97-usbboot.rules
    • # reboot system
    • sudo reboot now
  • If possible please try a different USB3.0 port on your host machine too

I am unsure as to what could be the cause of the problem here, it could be that the NCSDK uninstall didn't clean up well and the usbboot.rules file is causing trouble. It also might be that somehow the upgrade from Ubuntu 16 to Ubuntu 18 messed up things for the NCS, which is very unlikely (I've done the upgrade before and didn't have issues with NCS/OpenVINO). As a last resort you could try re-installing Ubuntu 18, but I am not convinced that this will solve the problem so I wouldn't advice this.

Let me know if any of the suggestions above helped resolve the issue.

Regards,

@Luis_at_intel

0 Kudos
MVajd
Beginner

I had a 97-myriad-usbboot.rules files and no 97-usbboot.rules file.

I didn't exactly "update" from 16.04 to 18.04, I used an 18.04 installation media and choose "delete ubuntu 16.04 and install ubuntu 18.04 in its place". so nothing shoud be left from the previous install.

there is only one usb 3.0 port on the host. I tested it with a usb 3.0 external drive and it is working.

0 Kudos
MVajd
Beginner

i did some more testing:

I installed the openvino toolkit in the same pc-s windows 10 partition(version 2019.3.334) and it still only work on the usb 2.0 ports.

I also installed the same version of openvino on another win10 pc and it works on its usb3.0 ports.

0 Kudos
Luis_at_Intel

Hi @MVajd​ 

Thanks for the update and clarification, sounds like there is something going on in that system which doesn't fully recognize the device in its USB3.0 port. It could be a hardware issue on that port since the NCS device works fine on your other systems' USB3.0 ports. I don't have any other suggestions, it may be worth to share the system model that has issues just in case others run into the same problem on the same machine.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

@Luis_at_Intel​ 

0 Kudos