Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

inference engine samples do not take image or video files as input

Lee__Ken
Beginner

Trying to learn OpenVino by running some of the samples. None of the samples would take any image or video files as input, for example,

interactive_face_detection_demo.exe -i "C:\temp\openvino\face-demographics-walking.mp4" -m ... [here omitted the  -m parameters]

will throw error:

InferenceEngine:
        API version ............ 1.6
        Build .................. 23224
[ INFO ] Parsing input parameters
[ INFO ] Reading input
[ ERROR ] Cannot open input file or camera: C:\temp\openvino\face-demographics-w
alking.mp4

Interestingly it works fine if I use camera "-i cam".

Greatly appreciate any help!

Ken

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

On Windows, you may need to download ffmpeg library to allow OpenCV (which is used to read image and video files for demos) process MP4 video. Take a look at <openvino_2019.x.xxx>\OpenCV folder for ffmpeg-download.ps1 script.

By the way, the OpenVINO version R3.1 was released just several weeks ago, I'd highly recommend to switch to the latest version.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Lee__Ken
Beginner

testing.

0 Kudos
Monique_J_Intel
Employee

I would check the permissions on the file or just make sure you are running using your console with admin privilages. I've had no problem running the interactive demo sample with both cam option and pointing it to the path of an .mp4 video file that I put in c:\temp\ but again I'm running a console with admin privs. 

Kind Regards,

Monique Jones

0 Kudos
Lee__Ken
Beginner

Thank you, Monique, for your suggestion. 

I am running it on a Windows machine. The folder is created by me so i have full permission to the folder and everything under it.

yes, i indeed also tried to run the command control as administrator but the same error.

Wonder if the issue might be related to openvino R1(2019.1.133)?

Best regards,

Ken

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

On Windows, you may need to download ffmpeg library to allow OpenCV (which is used to read image and video files for demos) process MP4 video. Take a look at <openvino_2019.x.xxx>\OpenCV folder for ffmpeg-download.ps1 script.

By the way, the OpenVINO version R3.1 was released just several weeks ago, I'd highly recommend to switch to the latest version.

0 Kudos
nmam
Novice

I am facing the same problem. Downloaded the ffmpeg file using the ps scrip and running from adming command prompt. Still the video file wont play.. More details in this question:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Distribution-of-OpenVINO/unable-to-play-video-file-with-openvino-2020-4-287/m-p/1211926#M20783

could you please advise what could be causing this issue ?

0 Kudos
Monique_J_Intel
Employee

Also to Vladmir's point, when I tested your use case I was using R3.1 the latest version of OpenVINO which I recommend you use.

0 Kudos
Lee__Ken
Beginner

Hi Vlad, Monique,

Thank you so much for helping me out! I downloaded the ffmpeg library by following Vlad's advises, and now i can run the samples using video files. 

Yes, I will switch to R3 soon.

Have a great day!

0 Kudos